Monday, March 18, 2024

UR distributes COVID testing kits, masks

Two students wear masks indoors during the mask Mandate at the University of Richmond.

University of Richmond students and employees will be able to request self-test kits and KN95 or surgical masks on campus.

UR was able to secure a limited supply of COVID-19 self-test kits, KN95 masks and surgical masks for those on campus, at no extra cost, David Hale, executive vice president and chief operating officer, Jeffrey Legro, executive vice president and provost and Shannon Sinclair, vice president and general counsel wrote in an email to the campus community on Jan. 12.

Distribution of COVID-19 self-test kits is limited to campus community members exhibiting mild symptoms, according to the email, but masks are available for everyone. The email also encouraged community members to wear KN95 or surgical masks instead of cloth masks

Self-test kit and masks can be picked up from the following locations:

• UR’s on-campus testing clinic, located in the Special Programs Building, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Center for Student Involvement desk, located in Tyler Haynes Commons, Monday through Friday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.

A valid UR ID must be presented to receive a self-test kit, according to the email. Masks are required when picking up supplies. Each person who needs a COVID-19 test will receive one box with two tests inside, according to the email.

“We want to ensure that the self-tests are available to those most in need,” wrote Cynthia Price, associate vice president of media and public relations, in an email to The Collegian. “Initially, they are available to those with mild symptoms. If the supply shortage eases, we may expand distribution to others.”

Tim Coates, an employee at the SpiderShop, said that UR was doing everything they could while holding in-person classes. Coates said: “It’s also up to the students and staff to do their part.”

Nathaniel Rich, a senior, said that the new approach was a step in the right direction. It would be interesting to see, however, where positive cases are in the coming weeks, he said. As of the publication of this article, there are 46 active cases of COVID-19 on campus.

“I think that the policy updates are solid, but what really, I think, is going to prove to be the most important part of it is how they enforce the rules,” Rich said, “how are they actually going to apply the changes as opposed to just what they say, right?”

Undergraduate and law students should report a positive test to the Student Health Center and upload the positive COVID-19 test into their Student Health portal, according to the email. MBA and SPCS students should email their positive test to the COVID-19 Support Center. Lastly, faculty and staff should report a positive test result to hr-health-screens@richmond.edu.

Elena Bagnoli, a senior and cashier at Everything Convenience, said that she was glad UR was giving out more masks. She hoped people would remember to wear masks when they came into ETC.

“Please wear your masks when you come in here, I’m really tired of saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you,’” she said laughing.