Spider Sports Recap | Week of Feb. 14

<p>Sophomore midfielder JT Stirpe scores a goal against the defenders at the Feb.19 game against Marist College.</p>

Sophomore midfielder JT Stirpe scores a goal against the defenders at the Feb.19 game against Marist College.

Women's basketball

Feb. 16: Loss 80-68 to Dusenque

The women's basketball team traveled to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to play Dunesque University and was defeated 80-68. Sophomore forward Addie Budnik led the Spiders with 20 points. The Spiders shot 41.8% from the field and 32.1% from the three-point line. 

Women’s lacrosse

Feb. 15: Win 19-10 against W&M

The women's lacrosse team took on the College of William and Mary at home on Feb. 15. They beat the Tribe 19-10. Freshman attacker Colleen Quinn led the Spiders with six goals. The Spiders went 19 for 39 on the net. 

Feb. 19: Win 13-12 against Liberty

The Spiders beat Liberty University 13-12 in overtime. Junior midfielders Kendall Duffy and Lindsey Frank led the Spiders with three goals each. Duffy scored the winning goal in overtime. 

Men's lacrosse

Feb. 19: Win 18-4 against Marist

The men's lacrosse team beat Marist University 18-4 at home. Graduate attacker Ryan Lanchbury and junior attacker Dalton Young led the Spiders with four goals each. Freshman faceoff Jared Chenoy went 15 for 18 on faceoffs. The Spiders shot 51% on goal. The Spiders are now 1-1. 

Women's tennis

Feb. 17: Loss 7-0 against VCU

The women's tennis team lost 0-7 against Virginia Commonwealth University on Thursday, Feb. 17. VCU won by default on Court 3 and then clinched the doubles point on Court 2 as a Ram duo defeated UR's sophomore Carly Cohen and junior Marta Buendia in a match 6-4. 

Feb. 19: Loss 4-3 against Davidson

Three Spiders won their single matches against Davidson College. In singles, graduate student Emily Dunbar, Cohen and Buendia all picked up wins. Davidson swept the doubles matches on both courts at 6-2. Cohen improved to 3-1, sitting in the number two singles spot for the Spiders. 

Feb. 20: Win 5-2 against UNCG

The Spiders traveled to play the University of North Carolina, Greensboro on Feb. 20 and defeated them 5-2. All five Spiders won their singles match to help the team improve their season to 2-5. UNCG won the doubles point in this match. 

Men’s tennis

Feb. 18: Loss 0-7 to W&M

The men’s tennis team was defeated by the College of William and Mary Tribe on Feb. 18 leaving the game with a 3-3 record, the loss marked the end of the Spiders' three-win streak. Men’s tennis will face Delaware at noon. on Feb. 25. 

Women’s swimming and diving

Spiders place third in A10 Championship

The University of Richmond swim and dive team finished third overall at the 2022 Atlantic 10 Championship at the SPIRE Institute. The Spiders received eight medals, and finished with 487 points. In total, the Spiders earned two gold medals (200 medley relay, 200 free relay), two silver medals (100 free, 200 fly) and four bronze (400 medley relay, 200 free, 50 free, 800 free relay). 

Men’s baseball

Feb. 18-20: Spiders go 2-1 in SSCC

The men's baseball team kicked off the season at the 2022 Swig and Swine College Classic in Charleston, South Carolina this past weekend. The Spiders lost to Army 8-0. They beat Bucknell University 3-2 and defeated Air Force 2-0. The Spiders are 2-1 and look to have their home opener on Feb. 22 against William and Mary. 

Contact sports writer Lexie Moskovit at lexie.moskovit@richmond.edu.