Students invited to offer feedback as provost search starts

Maryland Hall houses the offices of the president and provost.

The provost search committee will host an open forum for students to share their opinions on their priorities for the role at 5 p.m. on Oct. 25 via Zoom.

Provost and Executive Vice President Jeffrey Legro announced in early September that he would be stepping down from his administrative position. At the end of the month, President Kevin F. Hallock announced the members of the provost search committee, naming himself and rhetoric and communications professor Nicole Mauratonio as the co-chairs. 

The student forum is co-hosted by the Richmond College Student Government Association and Westhampton College Government Association and is headed by search consultants from Isaacson, Miller, the search firm UR is fielding nominations and applications for the provost position. 

“[Isaacson, Miller] have extensive experience managing these types of searches,” Hallock and Maurantonio wrote.

Registration for the student forum is required and attendance is limited to the first 300 respondents. Students can register at this link.

UR is accepting nominations and applications through their Isaacson, Miller search page as well as receiving suggestions using  provostsearch@richmond.edu, Hallock and Maurantonio wrote.

The email also links a brief survey for anyone in the campus community to contribute their opinions on what qualities they want in the next provost.

The committee’s members represent multiple sides of UR: professors from the School of Arts and Sciences, The Jepson School of Leadership School, The E. Claiborne Robins Business School, the University of Richmond Law School, administrative staff from different offices at UR, a former member of a different campus committee and a UR senior.

Harry Dang is the only student on the committee. He did not respond to The Collegian's request for comment.

“We are also looking forward to gathering feedback from our UR community in the process,” Hallock and Maurantonio wrote in an email to The Collegian.

Isaacson, Miller’s recent searches have resulted in new administration at the University of Pennsylvania and a new president at the University of Michigan.  

They will be meeting with UR stakeholders to determine what UR wants from their new provost, according to the email.

Contact news writer Amy Jablonski at amy.jablonski@richmond.edu.