No partner, no problem: How to make the most out of this Valentine’s Day

Are you single and tired of hearing about your friend’s romantic Valentine’s Day plan with their significant other? Instead of feeling jealous or lonely, make Feb. 14 a day to celebrate self-love with multiple activities both on and off-campus. 

For a good laugh, join SpiderBoard for its Anti-Valentine’s Day with Morgan Jay event on Feb. 15. Morgan Jay is a Los Angeles-based comedian and musician who has appeared on MTV, NBC and Comedy Central, according to his website

Sophomore Sydney Boehman, president of SpiderBoard, said her team booked Jay after seeing him at an open showcase in Missouri and figuring that he would be a good fit to perform at their event.

“People were dying laughing, and we all thought that he was the funniest person ever,” she said. “He has a set of songs that are all breakup-oriented and stories about his exes, but all comedy.”

The event is taking place the day after Valentine’s Day. Boehman said the reason for the date was so that people who had plans on Feb. 14 could still come to the show.

”We don’t want to exclude anybody from feeling like they can’t come to the event,” she said.

If you are in need of an hour of humor and music, come alone or bring some friends to The Current on Wednesday from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Not being in a relationship does not mean you are not able to enjoy all the Valentine treats. You can grab a free Valentine’s Day snack box from the demonstration kitchen on Feb. 13, or stop by the Heilman Dining Center on Feb. 14 for a chocolate tasting event. There will be four different types of chocolate offered including milk, white and two types of dark chocolate, Madeline Nathe, registered dietician at the Heilman Dining Center, said.

If you can get access to a kitchen, making a nice meal for you and your friends would be a great idea. Nathe suggests making chicken parmesan because it is a dish that multiple people can work together to make, she said.

“It’s a task that might be more fun with having more people around,” Nathe said, “and it’s classic.”

For dessert, Nathe recommends making chocolate mousse. If you are not confident in your culinary skills, you can make the recipe easier by mixing melted chocolate and whipped cream, she said. Risotto, steak, chocolate chip cookies or a charcuterie board can also be great options, regardless of whether you are cooking alone or with someone else, Nathe added.

“My roommate’s mom sent us steak, so we’re gonna have a steak night,” senior Bernardo Gomez said.

If cooking is not your cup of tea, trying out a Valentines-themed menu at a new spot would be a great excuse to dine out. Restaurants like The Stables, Laura Lee’s, JewFro and The Roosevelt are offering special three-course prix fixe menus on Valentine’s Day. If you are looking for a comfort food option, Chick-fil-A is offering heart-shaped trays packed with select menu items until Feb. 25, according to its website.

If you need another excuse to get out of campus, pay a (very appropriate) visit to The Valentine Museum downtown, where admission is free on Tuesday. You can also help spread love to others by signing up to volunteer for Feed More, a food bank that serves communities in Virginia.  

Do you want to stay in your room and eat ice cream in front of a screen? Here are some of our picks for movies to watch if you are single and want to feel lucky to not be in a relationship: Someone Great (2019), Do Revenge (2023), The Tinder Swindler (2022), Marriage Story (2019), Eat, Pray, Love (2010), Heathers (1989), Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (1997) and Gone Girl (2017). If you are looking for a good TV show, we recommend the new season of You, which will definitely make you grateful to not have a romantic partner.  

Ultimately, no matter what you do on Feb. 14, just remember that the day is all about celebrating love, whether it is with yourself, your lover, your friends or your family. 

Contact lifestyle writer Claire Le Du and lifestyle editor Son Tran at claire.ledu@richmond.edu and son.tran@richmond.edu