Sunday, April 28, 2024

Student Government Overview: Discussion to improve UR’s wireless network

Westhampton Student Government Association and Richmond College Student Government Association held their first joint meeting of the semester on Oct. 18 in Jepson Hall.

Healthy Halloween

WSGA and RCSGA created a collaborative campaign, Healthy Halloween, alongside the Student Center for Equity and Inclusion, the Center for Student Involvement, the Well-being Center, and several student organizations. The campaign is meant to remind students to think twice about their halloween costumes and alcohol use. It will include banners, flyers and social media posts with tips on how to choose a costume and limit alcohol use. The campaign began on Oct. 18 and will continue through Halloween.

Senate Chair and junior Amal Ali said the campaign is a response to the costume controversies that happened last year.

“We just wanted to be really proactive [in] how we handle Halloween this year, just to prevent anything from happening,” Ali said. “Also, because it's just a good general campaign. It's not just about costuming. It's also about consent. It's also about making sure you don't drink too much,.”

Information Services

Information Services visited the student governments to speak about student concerns and their proposed plans to improve UR’s wireless network.  Manager of Information Services’ IT communications and engagement, Kevin Creamer, said that Information Services surveyed 900 students about their major technology concerns. The most frequent response it received was the performance of the wireless services on campus. To improve this, Information Services began changing the wireless network on campus and will be entirely replaced by August 2024, Creamer said. The new system will be 6e compatible, which will allow faster wireless speed with less glitches.

New Joint Newsletter and Transparency

External Affairs Chair Ella Hayes and Student Affairs Chair Tim Khoh will begin publishing a joint newsletter for the student body. They also plan to write a Student Organization Budget and Appropriations Committee transparency guidebook to help clubs through the SOBAC process.

Joint Student Concern Tabling

Both governments will be tabling in Tyler Haynes Commons from Oct. 23 through Oct. 27. Students can let their representatives know about any concerns they have or improvements they want to see.

Contact news writer Andrrea Padilla at andrea.padilla@richmond.edu.