Spider Sports Recap | Week of Feb. 19

Graduate guard Jordan King during the Feb. 21 game against the University of Rhode Island. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

Baseball

Feb. 20: Loss 10-1 vs. the College of William and Mary 

The University of Richmond baseball team fell short to the College of William and Mary at home. The visiting team got the first run of the game in the third inning, while UR completed its first and only run in the fifth.​​ Throughout the next four innings, William and Mary was able to complete nine more runs to secure the win.

Feb. 24: Win 8-2 & Win 7-6 vs. Mount St. Mary’s University

UR gained its first two wins of the season with back-to-back victories in a double-header against Mount St. Mary’s. During the first game, the Spiders got their first run in the second inning and went on to complete a run in the fourth and fifth and three more in the sixth. UR completed its final run of the game in the eighth inning. Mount St. Mary’s, attempting a comeback, completed two runs in the ninth inning, but it ultimately wasn't enough.

Later that afternoon, both teams participated in the second half of their matchup. Once again, UR started the scoring by completing two runs in the first inning. The Spiders then added to their lead by completing two more runs in the second inning and one in the third. Mount St. Mary’s began to catch up by completing two runs a piece in innings four through five. In the eighth inning, Mount Saint Mary’s completed two runs, but the Spiders were able to also complete two, take back the lead and secure their win. 

Men's Basketball

Feb. 21: Win 85-77 vs. the University of Rhode Island 

Men’s basketball came out victorious after a trip to Rhode Island. Graduate center Neal Quinn got the scoring started for the Spiders early on with a field goal. UR then went on to hold a lead for seven minutes until Rhode Island managed to tie the score then take the lead. URI scored 11 points without response from the Spiders. After this period of struggle, UR got back into its groove and went into the second half only down two, with the score being 42-40. After a free throw by Quinn and a layup by graduate guard Jordan King, the Spiders were able to tie the score up in the early moments of the second half. The two teams had a brief period of scoring back-and-forth before the Spiders were able to take a stable lead that lasted them the rest of the game and secured their win. 

Feb. 24: Win 66-63 vs. Davidson College  

A win against Davidson College has given UR a three-game winning streak. Throughout the first eight minutes of the game, the score stayed close until UR was able to take a stable lead. With four minutes left in the half, Davidson began to close the gap, and with a little more than a minute left, they tied the game. A successful free throw and jumper by senior guard Dji Bailey gave the Spiders a last-second advantage going into the second half. The score was 31-28. During the second half, UR was able to keep its lead until about 10 minutes in when Davidson tied the game once again. UR, however, did not allow Davidson to retake the lead and got the advantage right back with three free throws made by senior guard DeLonnie Hunt and a layup by Bailey. With 14 seconds left in the game, Davidson was able to tie the score for the third time, but soon after committed a foul that allowed King to complete three free throws and win the game for UR. 

Women’s Basketball

Feb. 21: Win 74-54 vs. La Salle University 

Women’s basketball gained another home win after defeating La Salle University. In the first quarter, the Spiders trailed until eight minutes in, when they were able to take off with the lead. They went into the second quarter up 14-11. During the second quarter, the Spiders quickly began adding on to their advantage with jumpers by junior guard Katie Hill and senior guard Grace Townsend. UR continued to dominate and went into the second half up 37-21. In the third quarter, the Spiders continued to widen the score gap with the help of sophomore guard Rachel Ulstrom, who scored 9 points. La Salle, in the early moments of the fourth quarter, scored eight points uninterrupted. Soon after, the Spiders began to once again extend their lead that would eventually give them the win. 

Feb. 24: Loss 82-76 vs. George Mason University 

The Spiders came up short to George Mason in overtime. Throughout the first quarter, the score stayed close. UR briefly took the lead in the second quarter with a 3-pointer by Ullstrom, but GMU quickly rebutted by scoring five points uninterrupted. After this, both teams began scoring back-and-forth before GMU took a larger lead before the end of the half, leaving the Spiders down 37-31. After a battle on the court during the third quarter, the Spiders came out 54-48. This battle continued in the fourth quarter, as by the end, the score was tied at 68. During overtime, UR came up short after it was only able to score eight points in comparison to George Mason’s 14. 

Women’s Lacrosse

Feb. 21: Win 17-7 vs. the College of William & Mary 

UR came up victorious in a game against William & Mary. In the first quarter, the Spiders were able to score three goals, two of which were completed by senior attacker Marymargarett Quinn, while William & Mary scored once. In the second quarter, William & Mary scored first, but UR responded with five goals. The Spiders maintained this dominance and went on to score nine more times throughout the remainder of the game. This, in comparison to William & Mary’s four additional goals , gave the Spiders the win. 

February 24: Win 18-11 vs Liberty University 

Women’s lacrosse is now on a four-game winning streak after a win against Liberty University. UR struck first again with a goal made by junior attacker Colleen Quinn. They went on to score three more goals during the quarter, while Liberty was able to put up two. The Spiders continued their efforts throughout the second quarter and were able to score six goals. Senior attacker Ali Susskind and senior midfielder Leah Kenny each scored two goals. UR came out of the first half up 10-5. During the third quarter, both teams managed to score four goals, making the score 14-9. In the fourth quarter, UR was able to score four goals uninterrupted, but with four minutes left, Liberty attempted a comeback with two quick goals. Their efforts, however, were not enough to catch up with the Spiders. The final score was 18-11.

Men’s Lacrosse

February 24: Win 18-2 vs. St. John’s University 

Men’s lacrosse got the first home win after a matchup against St. John’s University. In the first quarter Richmond got an early lead scoring two goals in comparison to St. John’s singular goal. During the second quarter Richmond managed to shut St. John’s out while adding five points to their lead, two of which were made by senior attacker Luke Grayum. The third and fourth quarter saw UR dominate, making eleven goals and securing the win while St John's was only able to score once. The final score was 18-2.

Women’s Tennis

Feb. 24: Win 4-0 vs. George Mason University 

The Spiders were able to take down GMU with a perfect game. UR won all three of its double matches and secured the first point of each. The singles matchup happened next. Senior Carly Cohen, sophomore Lara Bakhaya and senior Leonor Oliveira all competed in matches and won. Sophomore Elizabeth Novak also played a match but it went unfinished, as the Spiders had already gathered all the four points they needed to win.

Contact writer Erica Rogers at erica.rogers@richmond.edu.