Rho Mu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha celebrates 20th anniversary

The University of Richmond Rho Mu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. will celebrate its 20th anniversary of being on campus with a reception that will give attendees a glimpse into what AKA plans to do this year.

"It’s a big deal for us,” said Trisha-Joy Jackson, president of Richmond's AKA chapter. “We encourage anyone, whether it be students, faculty or staff, to come to the anniversary reception.” The celebration will be held from 8 p.m. to midnight on Saturday, Sept. 19 in the Alice Haynes Commons.

“This event is a chance for us to tell everyone what our future goals are and what we plan on doing this year,” said April Robinson, vice president of AKA. “Not only will there be desserts and music, but it is a good opportunity to do some networking and meet some members of the Richmond community.”

The Rho Mu chapter, which has a sorority cottage in the cottage courtyard, currently has seven members, with one who is abroad in Argentina this semester.

“Our chapter has maintained a strong presence on campus, having members in the Westhampton College Government Association, SpiderBoard and the Student Conduct Council,” Robinson said

The chapter has continued to remain involved in the community by hosting the BRAvo bra decorating contest in October, where all proceeds go to the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation, Jackson said.

Contact reporter Matt Davison at matt.davison@richmond.edu.