In The Know: Man Box promotes Masculinity@ Richmond, Bowl-A-Thon hits Tyler’s

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond

Man Box promoting the Masculinity@ Richmond 

For the past several days there has been a large white “man box”covered in writing outside of the dining hall. The man box is a phrase that describes a rigid set of expectations, perceptions and behaviors that define what it means to ‘be a man’ in the Unites States today. Students are encouraged to take a sharpie and write down on the box what they think it means to be a man. The man box is promoting the Masculinity@ Richmond program which will seek to explore the current state of masculinity of campus. As part of the series, there will be a showing of “The Mask You Live In” in Jepson 118 on Sept, 24 at 6 p.m.

Bowl-A-Thon coming to Tyler’s

For four weeks, starting Monday, Sept. 15, Tyler’s will be serving different meals in bowls. Week one will be curry fusion chicken bowl, followed by beef fajita bowl, meatballs and pasta bowl, and finally home-style chicken pot pie bowl. A vote will be taken through UR Heard and paper ballot, and the bowl with the most votes will be featured on the Tyler’s menu for the rest of the semester.

Mindfulness Workshop to be held in Wilton Center

Professor Motro will be holding a mindfulness workshop Sunday, Sept. 20, at 1 p.m. in the Wilton Center. The afternoon will explore meditation techniques with a focus on using the techniques to envision a professional identity that is in harmony with your personal, spiritual, and communal values. Phones will not be allowed, and a portion of the workshop will be held in silence.

Brown Bag discussion on, “The Long Civil Rights Movement Today”

This week’s Brown Bag discussion on, “From Protest to Politics to Protest: The Long Civil Rights Movement Today,” Friday, Sept. 11, at 12:30 p.m. in Weinstein Hall room 313. The discussion will be led by Julain Hayter, assistant professor of Leadership Studies, and Eric Yellin, associate professor of history and American studies. The Brown Bag discussion Series was initiated to support of The Bonner Center for Civic Engagement’s goal to bring together campus and community members in collaborative study, reflection, and action to address contemporary social issues.

Contact Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu