VCU receives report of armed gunman Friday morning

Virginia Commonwealth University resumed campus activities Friday, after the Richmond and VCU Police departments received reports of an armed subject.

According to an alert tweeted by the university at 11:28 a.m., the police received reports that a male was standing on the 2nd Street overpass holding what appeared to be a rifle. The police have searched the areas where the man was seen, but did not locate the individual and were not able to confirm the information, according to the alert.

"Possible Armed Subject on Monroe Park Campus. Avoid area. VCU Police on scene Check http://alert.vcu.edu/ for updates," reads a tweet VCU sent at 10:44 a.m.

“Since the initial reports, police have received no additional information. Please resume normal activity, and please report any suspicious activity to police,” the alert reads.

The threat at VCU comes just a day after a 26-year-old man opened fire at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Ore., killing 10 and wounding seven others. The Oregon shooting is the 142nd school shooting since the Sandy Hook massacre in December 2012.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu