WCGA struggles to find Class of 2018 president

<p>Photo by Kayla Solsbak.</p>

Photo by Kayla Solsbak.

The results are in for the Westhampton College first ballot elections for the 2016-2017 school year, but the Class of 2018 is still in need of a president.

Mia Hagerty is the incumbent president of the Westhampton College Government Association, and Julia Rivara will be the WCGA Chair of Senate. Dina Staurulakis is the Class of 2017 president and Madison Sweitzer is the the Class of 2019 president.

With many students going abroad, the role of the Class of 2018 president is vacant. There will likely be more details announced later about this position.

Next week, students can vote on the second ballot elections for class senators. There are six senator positions for each academic class, Olivia Karahan, previous WCGA president, said.

“We have always done elections this way in the spring so that individuals who want to run for the larger positions on WCGA are eligible to run for senate positions if they are not elected in the first ballot elections,” Karahan said.

The second ballot campaigning week starts on Monday, March 22, and ends on Monday, March 28. The elections for second ballot and senators for WCGA are on Tuesday, March 29.

“We represent student opinions, develop university-wide programming, maintain traditions, and provide students with an opportunity to be leaders,” a flyer advertising WCGA participation read. “We confidently pursue our passions and we want you to do the same here at Richmond.”

Karahan said serving as WCGA president was an incredible opportunity. “I am forever grateful to Westhampton College for providing me with this leadership opportunity," she said.

Elections for the new Class of 2020 president and senator positions will be held when students arrive on campus in the fall.

Second ballot elections will be held Tuesday, March 29 from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Students can vote here.

Contact news writer Megan Healy at megan.healy@richmond.edu