Fraternity raises money for UR alumnus murdered by daughter's ex-boyfriend

<p>Scott Fricker, a UR Theta Chi Omicron brother, and his wife, Buckley Kuhn-Fricker.&nbsp;<em>Photo courtesy of People.com.</em></p>

Scott Fricker, a UR Theta Chi Omicron brother, and his wife, Buckley Kuhn-Fricker. Photo courtesy of People.com.

A University of Richmond alumnus and his wife were murdered by their teenage daughter's ex-boyfriend in December 2017.

Scott Fricker, a UR Theta Chi Omicron brother, and his wife, Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, were shot in their home by the 17-year-old, who was suspected of having neo-Nazi values. The couple had recently encouraged their daughter to stop dating the boy after they had become concerned when they discovered anti-Semitic, homophobic, racist and neo-Nazi messages the teen was apparently writing on social media, according to WTVR.

The break-up occurred the night of Dec. 21 and the couple was murdered the following day, Dec. 22.

The 17-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son were also in the home at the time of the murder but were left unharmed, according to the NY Daily News

Scott Fricker was a member of the UR swim team and an active member of the community. He was particularly involved in his fraternity during his four years at the school.

This semester, Theta Chi brothers created the Scott Fricker Memorial Fund to support his children’s future after this tragic event.

“We were all really devastated when we heard about Scott and Buckley passing away in such a tragic manner,” Sean Foley, alumni chair and risk manager for Theta Chi, said. “We really thought about brotherhood and to us, brotherhood is being there for your brothers when something bad happens.”

Old and new members of the fraternity tabled in Tyler Haynes Commons last week to kick off the fundraiser. Hot chocolate, doughnuts, and baked goods were given in return for donations. People who did not have time to the visit the table also had the opportunity to donate on their phones using the app Venmo.

“The chapter has really come together to support this cause,” Nebeu Fekede, president of Theta Chi, said. “It was great to see the number of brothers that were there talking to people, sharing the story and raising money.”

The initial fundraiser was a success. In just three days of tabling, the chapter raised $2,100. Although there is no official target dollar amount, the brothers plan to do multiple rounds of tabling in future months, Foley said. 

The fraternity is also planning on hosting an annual philanthropic talent show in honor of Fricker, the date of which has yet to be determined.

“We do not want people to forget about Scott and his wife Buckley, so making this an annual event dedicated to their memory is very important to us,” Fekede said.

Foley said he had been in contact with Fricker’s brother, Jason Fricker, and the cash raised will go directly to the family.

Other fraternity and sorority members said the chapter’s efforts were commendable and served as a positive example to other organizations on campus.

“Their dedication to their members both before and after graduation is evident and impressive, and is something that we all strive to accomplish,” Caitlin Livesey, president of Pi Beta Phi, said. “We are happy to support Theta Chi’s goals and the Scott Fricker Memorial Fund.”

Contact Kim Smith at kim.smith1@richmond.edu.