The Collegian
Monday, March 27, 2023

Men's soccer loses to Longwood

Despite taking an early 1-0 lead, the University of Richmond men's soccer team missed scoring chances at the end of regulation, leading to a 2-1 overtime loss against the Longwood Lancers at First Market Stadium on Wednesday.

The deciding goal was scored during the 96th minute of play by Longwood freshman Kevin Chico from 25 yards away, his second goal of the season. The play was set up when Richmond failed to clear a Longwood corner kick.

Richmond took an early lead on a goal in the ninth minute of the game. Senior midfielder Scott Loesser headed in the goal. Junior midfielder Stephen Chareczko assisted Loesser with a pass off of a free kick.

"I got in front of my man and hit it into the back of the net," Loesser said of his goal, which was his second of the season.

The Lancers tied the game during the 50th minute of play off of an unassisted goal by junior Giovanni Peralta. The goal was Peralta's first of the year.

The Spiders had a pair of chances to win the game during the last three minutes of regulation. During the 88th minute, freshman Justin Grove kicked the ball wide of the two Richmond players in front of the goal. During the last few seconds of regulation, freshman Ben Brewster had a shot at close range, but the Longwood goalie, sophomore Avery Makel, made the critical save that sent the game into overtime.

"We need to finish our opportunities," Richmond coach Jeff Gettler said. "We got guys free and facing the net. Tonight our final pass was just too big."

Longwood outshot the Spiders during the first half 10 to two, but the Lancers were only able to put two of the shots on goal. The only shot on goal by Richmond during the first half was Loesser's goal.

The shot totals were closer during the second half. Longwood had six shots, including four shots on goal; Richmond had four shots, but again had only one shot on goal. During the overtime period, Longwood had two shots on goal and Richmond had none.

Physical play dominated the first half as 12 fouls were called during the half, eight of which Richmond players committed. A yellow card was issued late during the first half to Longwood freshman Bryce Shank for running into the goalie.

"They are a tough team," Gettler said. "We struggled a little bit [with the physicality]."

There were eight second-half penalties, evenly divided between the teams, and one was called on Richmond during overtime. There were two more yellow cards issued during the game, one to each team. During the 48th minute, a yellow card was issued to Chareczko for shoving a Longwood player while Longwood junior Martin Vickerton was given a yellow card for arguing with the referees during the 96th minute of play.

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

The Spiders play next in their last non-conference game of the season, at 7 p.m. on Oct. 4 against Marist College.

Contact reporter Andrew Prezioso at

Support independent student media

You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.

Donate Now