Friday, May 03, 2024

Missing my meal plan already

LONDON -- Before I left for my time abroad in London, I had thought that I was fully prepared for all the adjustments I'd have to make. I memorized all the advice from the University of Richmond Study Abroad Office, read every website devoted to "London travel tips" that Google had to offer, and listened to all of the Harry Potter books on CD to get used to British accents. Now that I've actually arrived in London the story is a bit different.

What I've realized in my first week of living abroad is just that, I am now living in a country 3,725.8 miles from home. Yes, it was useful to know what to pack and recognize places like King's Cross when I see it on a map, but those things help me very little in my day to day living.

I feel hugely underprepared for life in a British university ("uni" as the Brits call it) compared to the local students. I'm living in a single room with my own bathroom, but I share a kitchen and a hallway with my five flatmates. When I arrived the first day, I was shocked to discover that there was no toilet paper in my bathroom, only to feel like a stupid American when my neighbor told me we had to buy our own.

Already I miss D-hall, where options are endless and meal preparation means getting out your Spidercard. While they have a few places to eat on campus, students are expected to cook for themselves. My flat has a kitchen equipped with a stove, a microwave and a refrigerator. Pots, pans, plates, utensils, food, napkins, spices, towels ... students must buy it all. Most of my flatmates have already whipped up full meals, whereas I'm grateful for my can of ravioli.

One of my flatmates explained that over here, they know that going away to school means living on their own, and they come fully prepared. It seems as if we tend to drag that process out more in America. I didn't expect these kinds of tasks until after graduation.

Orientation here was much different than Richmond's as well. They told us how to register for classes, and then handed us a packet with information about local stores and told us, "Good luck!" After the first few days we were left to figure out campus, the city and classes for ourselves.

I feel as if I've done an admirable job with trying to jump right into the London culture during my first week here. I've seen Big Ben, visited St. Paul's Cathedral, eaten at my first pub and navigated the Tube on my own. But by Sunday night I was pretty exhausted. I'm hoping now that I know what responsibilities to expect, it will get a bit easier.