Basketball coaches say teams relying on experience this season

Expectations are high for the young, but experienced men's and women's basketball teams through the first week of practice.

The coaches had their season-opening press conferences Oct. 22, where they discussed how practice has progressed so far and the prospects for this season.

The coaches emphasized that they have deep and talented teams, with both returning four starters this season. Dan Geriot, a junior center from Springfield, Pa., suffered a knee injury this summer that will force him to miss the season, men's coach Chris Mooney said.

Both teams made progress last year over the previous seasons and are aiming to carry that through. The men's team had a 16-15 record overall and a 9-7 conference record last season.

"In past years, it was a step forward, two steps back," Mooney said. "I think we improved and didn't take any steps back."

The women's team went 14-17 overall, and 6-8 in conference games, but played the ninth toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

"Hopefully, the benefit of playing those teams and the experience of having some young kids play in those games will carry over and show up in the win column," coach Michael Shafer said.

The women's team has an exhibition game against DT3 on Nov. 4 and opens its season Nov. 14 at the Robins Center against Kennesaw State University at 7 p.m.

The men's team hosts Randolph Macon at 8 p.m. Nov. 15 before it travels to Syracuse to face the Syracuse Orange Nov. 18 on ESPN in the CBE Classic.

Contact reporter Stephen Utz at stephen.utz@richmond.edu