Monday, April 29, 2024

2008 Football Playoffs

Football: The Championship Game | Web Update

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The Spiders started their 2008 season 4-3, but ended Friday night No. 1 in the nation, seizing a 24-7 win against the University of Montana and the school's first NCAA championship in school history.

Championship Stories

Dec 20, 2008, 9:07 am ET

Richmond fans celebrate Spider victory in Chattanooga

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The Spiders won a national championship in front of hundreds of Richmond fans who traveled from miles around to cheer on their team.

Dec 21, 2008, 5:06 pm ET

For Crone's only career pass, Ward became the TD receiver

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- During a trick play, senior fullback John Crone threw the first and only pass of his collegiate career to quarterback Eric Ward for a touchdown.

Dec 16, 2008, 9:00 pm ET

To be champs, Spiders must oust a championship team

The Spiders are playing on Friday for their first national football title, but they'll have to topple the University of Montana, a team that's no stranger to winning championships.

Dec 20, 2008, 8:33 am ET

Spiders in the Big Apple: Celebrating from afar

NEW YORK -- Inside a pub with 30 Richmond alumni, screaming with the crowds in Chattanooga, Tenn., I've never felt prouder to be Spider born and Spider bred.

Dec 21, 2008, 6:04 pm ET

A sports editor's confessions

BALTIMORE -- It has been 31 days since my last column. During that time, I've traveled across 10 states and slept in six different beds to watch the football team's last five games and its run to a national championship win.

Jan 22, 2009, 4:00 pm ET

Celebrations in city, on campus continue for football team

In one of his final acts as Richmond mayor, L. Douglas Wilder proclaimed Jan. 12, 2009, "University of Richmond NCAA Championship Day."

Dec 24, 2008, 4:39 am ET

Defensive coordinator leaving Spiders to coach Chattanooga

»By Dan Petty

Richmond defensive coordinator Russ Huesman is leaving the University of Richmond to be head coach at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga, his alma mater.

Jan 2, 2009, 2:45 am ET

Healy headed to Chattanooga with former D-coordinator

»By Dan Petty

Former senior football captain Will Healy will be named Friday as either the tight end or running backs coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, he told The Collegian.

Dec 14, 2008, 1:59 am ET

Spiders rally late past UNI to reach first FCS title game

In a dramatic come-from-behind victory, the Spiders defeated the University of Northern Iowa Saturday 21-20 to advance to the national championship in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Dec 6, 2008, 11:34 pm ET

Spiders upset No. 2 Appalachian State in playoffs

BOONE, N.C. -- The Spiders upset Appalachian State University Saturday 33-13 at the Rock, meaning they will travel to play No. 3 University of Northern Iowa on Saturday.

Nov 29, 2008, 11:19 am ET

Spiders prevail over Eastern Kentucky in first round

The Spiders defeated Eastern Kentucky University 38-10 on Saturday, setting up a rematch against Appalachian State University, a team that trounced the Spiders last year.

"I guess the only ones who believed we could do this were people inside the Richmond program."

-- Mike London, Richmond head coach

"I just want y'all to know we just won the national championship."

-- John Crone, senior fullback, entering the post-game press conference

"... You look at the Delawares, the Madisons, the Montanas -- it takes something special. London's brought that."

-- Joe Kroger, 1980 Richmond graduate, speaking after the game

Championship Preview

Dec 19, 2008, 10:40 am

The Celebration

Dec 24, 2008, 3:07 am ET

The Game

Dec 22, 2008, 5:27 pm ET

The Fans

Dec 23, 2008, 1:25 am ET

Pregame

Dec 22, 2008, 2:33 am ET

Preparation

»By Dan Petty

Dec 19, 2008, 1:27 pm ET