Haddock leaves behind a legacy with new building

In 2011, students and faculty of the E. Claiborne Robins School of Business will welcome the 33,000 square-foot addition of Queally Hall, but without Dean Jorge Haddock.

As Haddock prepares to leave and take up his new position as dean at George Mason University's School of Management, his interest lies primarily on the legacy that goes beyond the building.

"Deans come and go," he said. "I'm hoping the impact that I have is on the whole community of the Robins School of Business."

The vision that Haddock and donor alumni Paul B. Queally had for the development of the business school took shape during a conversation the two had in New York City, Haddock said.

"I saw a spark in his face," he said.

Queally was convinced that without the building, the new programs he envisioned would be difficult to implement, Haddock said.

Queally's main commitment has been to enhance students' professional skills so that they can be successful in the business world, Haddock said. Queally and his wife, Anne-Marie Flinn Queally, donated $6 million to the funding of Queally Hall. Haddock stressed that Queally Hall wasn't just about more space, but about different spaces and creating different opportunities within the business school.

One of the men who is heavily involved in building operations is Corey Janecky. The rationale behind the building, from a learning perspective, is that it would be beneficial to have all business classes in one place, Janecky said. As of now, classrooms in the business school are booked from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and there is not enough room for all of the classes, he said.

In designing Queally Hall, officials examined the business school's current needs and how the space would be used in 10 years, Janecky said. The designers tried to incorporate some of the things the students wanted, he said.

"You can study here, take classes here, eat here and relax here, and it will be a much more inclusive atmosphere for the whole campus community," he said.

At the same time, the architects succeeded in maintaining the aesthetic value of the building by tying the new to the old, something Janecky said was different from many other schools. Outsiders always notice how the buildings at the university blend together, he said.

The process has been smooth and operations are still right on track, Janecky said. Pending any hurricanes or tornadoes, Janecky said the building was 18 months away from completion. Janecky acknowledged that there would be challenges ahead, but said this was all part of the excitement in realizing Haddock and Queally's vision.

By the time Haddock leaves -- his position at George Mason will be effective July 1, 2009 -- ground will have been broken and construction begun. He may not be around to enjoy the fruits of his labor in 2011, but even now Haddock said he realized the importance of the Queally donation.

"They are contributing to the university beyond just the business school," he said, "and we are very grateful."

Contact reporter Sarah Blythe-Wood at sarah.blythewood@richmond.edu