Sarah Blythe-Wood

Marketing, fashion and the media large part of eating disorders, speaker says

The final event during the WILL/WGSS/Quest Speaker Series took place on Tuesday April 14 in the Alice Haynes Room. Susan Bordo, renowned author and scholar of feminist, cultural and gender studies, spoke to a predominantly female audience on the subject, "Beyond 'Eating Disorders:' Why We Need to Rethink Everything We Thought We Knew." Historical conceptions of eating disorders, she said, are a result of a combination of fashions in the medical world. In the old days, anorexia was conceptualized as a form of hysteria, she said.

Women's basketball handles key injuries, finds success

The University of Richmond's women's basketball team ended its 2008-09 season with a 24-10 overall record. Many may look back over the season and wonder what might have been, but it proved to be a turning point in the women's program. During the previous two years, the Spiders had not had much success, ending with a 13-17 record during the 2006-07 season and a 14-17 record during the 2007-08 season.

Students, staff train for Saturday's Monument 10K race

Members of the University of Richmond's Monument Avenue 10K Training Program will be competing in the 10th anniversary of the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K race this Saturday, March 28. Twenty-five faculty, staff and students have been training for the race for the past 10 weeks with nationally recognized athlete and coach, Andrea Randle. Randle works as a multisports trainer for the Department of Recreation and Wellness to help promote physical activity among the campus community. Seth Hickerson, assistant director of Fitness and Wellness, said that he and Randle had hoped to expand the training program further, with the goal of attracting an annual representation of more than 150 participants. "We want to represent the University of Richmond on the start line every year," he said. The program is in its first year, and 21 of the 25 who participated in the training will compete with about 35,000 other runners, joggers and walkers. The training program was open to people with little to no running experience as well as to advanced runners, Hickerson said.

Lacrosse player Mandy Friend, '09, practices Friday afternoon at First Market stadium.

Friend leading lacrosse team during her last season

Senior lacrosse captain Mandy Friend enters her final season at the University of Richmond having already broken and re-broken program records during all of her previous three seasons. Friend, a native of Canandaigua, N.Y., joined the Spiders during the 2005-06 season, teaming up with older sister Ashley to help lead the Spiders to their second-straight Atlantic 10 Championship and NCAA appearance. Fifty-three goals, 23 assists and 76 points later, Friend had made sure the team had achieved its objective during her first year on the team. After setting a program record for the most points scored during a single season and earning five A-10 Rookie of the week honors, individual awards followed. Friend was named a Third-Team All-American, Rookie All-American and All-Regional first team honoree as well as being selected to the Virginia Sports Information Directors' first team. She was also named to the A-10 Championship team, the A-10 All-Conference team and was named A-10 Rookie of the year for 2006. Friend attributed her success to the lack of an overwhelming expectation to perform well on an established team. "I had stand-out upperclassmen who could take over a game," Friend said, "and I felt like I was just helping them out, and if I played well, I played well and that was that." With that type of mindset, Friend said she had the ability to play her best lacrosse. After such a remarkable year, Friend said she had begun to pressure herself to "do this or do that." But she repeated her success, and then some. As a sophomore in 2007, Friend set new program records for the most goals, 62, and points in a season, 77.

Ney leads women's track this season

University of Richmond women's track and field coach Lori Taylor described junior Megan Ney as the "epitome of what Division I athletics is all about." The potential to get stronger and to mature mentally and physically is something that coaches look for in athletes, Taylor said, and Ney has that. "Megan is someone who has committed herself to do whatever it takes," she said.

Endowment plummets 15 percent, but officials downplay losses

The University of Richmond's endowment has fallen 15 percent since December 2007, from a $1.7 billion high to $1.45 billion as of October, but it's difficult to predict how it will continue to fare in response to the deepening worldwide recession. President Edward Ayers has said the university expects to make a "modest" increase in tuition, room and board -- one that could send Richmond's price tag above $50,000 per year. Before the economy took its calamitous tailspin this fall, Richmond climbed from No.

Haddock leaves behind a legacy with new building

In 2011, students and faculty of the E. Claiborne Robins School of Business will welcome the 33,000 square-foot addition of Queally Hall, but without Dean Jorge Haddock. As Haddock prepares to leave and take up his new position as dean at George Mason University's School of Management, his interest lies primarily on the legacy that goes beyond the building. "Deans come and go," he said.

More articles »