Monday, April 29, 2024

JuicyCampus.com squeezed dry; shuts down today, says founder

Founder and CEO of JuicyCampus.com, Matt Ivester, announced that the Web site would be shut down as of today after a loss in revenue because of the bad economy, according to a press release from Ivester that was also posted on the site's blog.

The site has continuously received an average of one million unique visits a month, the release said, but online advertising revenue for the site dropped significantly as the economy weakened. In an FAQ on the site's blog, Ivester said the shutdown was unrelated to the site being banned from schools or any kind of legal issues.

Ivester said he hoped the site would be remembered for the dialogue it created about internet censorship and online privacy as well as being "a place for the fun, lighthearted gossip of college life," the press release said.

The site's customer service e-mail will still be functional and checked periodically.

Ivester also reassured users that their IP addresses would not be released, keeping everything anonymous. The decision was made on Feb. 2.

Contact staff writer Stephanie Rice at stephanie.rice@richmond.edu