Can Vick return to form?

In a two-year span, Michael Vick has gone from one of the fastest quarterbacks in the league, to an abuser of animals, and now holds a quarterback position with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Vick signed a one-year deal with the Eagles with an option for a second year earlier this month. The terms were $1.6 million for the first year and a second-year option worth $5.2 million. This deal may help the former star quarterback pay off some of his acquired debts, but it's a big downgrade from the contracts to which he's been accustomed.

Now that Vick wears No. 7 for the Eagles, the big question as the season progresses will be: Will he emerge as the new star quarterback for Philadelphia?

This year will serve as a platform for how Vick reshapes his tarnished image and rebuilds his career. Vick went to jail during the height of his career. His skills were not in a decline, and he holds the record for the most rushing yards for a quarterback in a season with 1,039.

His hunger has not faded, and it will be interesting to watch how he and Donovan McNabb interact as the season progresses. Vick will obviously have some rust to shake off before he is ready to get serious play time, but it would be hard to imagine these two co-existing for an extended period of time.

Neither is particularly keen about or used to playing the benchwarmer role. Before Vick served jail time for his dog-fighting hobby, he was the highest-paid player in the NFL and was paid additional millions of dollars for advertisement endorsements. McNabb is a veteran Eagle who has led his team to the playoff and conference championship games. He has seen the bench in past seasons while nursing injuries, but McNabb's starting spot always stayed open for when he returned to the field. Who knows whether that will be the case if Vick gets on a roll.

Some could argue that Vick does not have a big window to shine through this season. He is currently at a third-string spot behind McNabb and Kevin Kolb. Kolb has been out of play with a knee injury, but could be back and keep Vick at No. 3. Vick is also limited to playing during the last two games of the preseason and subsequently may need to wait as late as the sixth week of regular-season play before NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell fully reinstates him.

There has also been talk among the Eagles coaches to move both McNabb and Vick around the offensive positions — like wide receiver, tight end and running back — to create even more depth to the line. Whether either of them is enthusiastic about that proposition is a different question, but these two could pose a serious double threat to defenses across the league if the pull these strategies off.

Even though Vick may not get playing time until the second half of the season, it's certain that McNabb feels pressure to perform in the face of new competition. The media coverage since the contract was signed is enough to stiffen anyone's nerves. Maybe that $5.3 million contract raise will keep McNabb settled for the time being.

McNabb has said during interviews that he and the former Falcon were good friends, and McNabb even showed Vick the Syracuse campus when colleges were scouting him. Can the friendship remain now that they are both wearing green and white?

Vick will have preseason and the start of the 2009 season to work out the kinks in his game and prepare himself for more serious game time. Teammates have already commented on Vick's performance and he appears to be ready to make his debut against the Jaguars at 7 p.m. tonight.

"He looks good to me," Eagles tight end Brent Celek told ESPN. "He throws the ball real well and can read the defense."

It has also been reported that Vick has been putting in extra time after practices to work on his throwing game and get back into a routine. He must be attempting to improve upon his former image — the last one in the door and first one out of it. Vick acknowledged his lackadaisical tendencies during a recent interview with "60 Minutes."

Many critics have questioned the Eagles' decision to sign a contract with Vick and have turned to head coach Andy Reid to get more information on whether to expect Vick to be on the field this season. Although Reid has tried to stay diplomatic about his plans for Vick, he does appear to sympathize with his new quarterback's situation as his family life came under close media scrutiny last year when his two sons were arrested on drug charges.

Will this soft spot cause the veteran coach to give Vick the opportunities during the season to redeem his reputation, or will he remain impartial and make Vick earn every minute of playing time?

At some point, one of them will have to go. Will McNabb continue to shine and maintain his position or will Vick come in and scoop it out from under him? It will be interesting to see whether his ambitions cause him to cross the line with McNabb. He will be anxious to get involved and show his teammates, coaches, the league and fans that he is worthy of a second chance.

Contact staff writer Jessica Murray at jessica.murray@richmond.edu