Thursday, May 02, 2024

Field hockey team's season ends with loss to Virginia

The No. 19 University of Richmond field hockey team lost to the No. 2 University of Virginia for the second time this year as the Spiders were eliminated by a 3-0 score from the first round of the NCAA Tournament this afternoon.

The Spiders had trouble generating offense and only took three shots. None of the shots taken were on goal.

"They are really fast and quick in the midfield," senior Sarah Blythe-Wood said. "We just kept losing [the ball]. We didn't attack much at all."

After a scoreless first half, Virginia scored four minutes into the second half. Freshman Tara Puffenberger took a centering pass from senior Traci Ragukas and shot the ball past Richmond senior goalie Jacki Raithel.

Ragukas made the score 2-0 when she redirected a pass from sophomore Inga Stockel into the goal. Senior Lauren Elstein finished the scoring for the Cavaliers during the 53rd minute when she tipped in a long shot from Stockel.

"The goals they scored in open play were outstanding goals," Richmond coach Gina Lucido said. "Those type of goals are going to go in."

Virginia failed to score on any of its three penalty corners. Lucido said that shutting the Cavaliers on the penalty corner was a main component of the Spiders' game plan.

The two teams met on Sept. 30 in Richmond. Virginia won that game 4-3 and improved its then-record to 11-0. Virginia entered the second meeting with a 18-3 record, including two losses to No. 1 University of Maryland.

The Spiders finish their season with a 14-9 record. During their last 13 games, the Spiders had a 10-3 record.

Richmond advanced to the first round by beating Ohio University 2-1 on Nov. 9 in a NCAA play-in game.

This was the first time since 2006 that the Spiders reached the NCAA Tournament. Even though the Spiders were eliminated during the first round, Lucido said she was proud of her team and the future looks promising for another NCAA Tournament berth.

"In my view, this is not going to be the last of the Richmond Spiders being in the elite circles of hockey," Lucido said. "This is an exciting way for us to end."

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu