Mash-up DJs to mix at the Pier with '90s hits

Get ready to rave to the mash-up sounds of the Super Mash Bros, who will be performing in the Pier at the University of Richmond at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Nick Fenmore and Dick Fink make up the Super Mash Bros, a Los Angeles-based DJ duo who take songs from the past, especially the '90s, and combine them with rap hits, which they said were guaranteed to get people grooving on the dance floor.

"[Our music is] the sonic version of getting drunk at your middle school dance and making out with the hottest girl in the class," Fink said. "But she denies it and no one else believes you."

The young men, who were originally solo DJs, made their first album, "F*ck B*tches. Get Euros," in 2008 after a friend bet them they couldn't make a mash-up record. Fenmore and Fink accepted that challenge and mixed Mariah Carey, MGMT and Crazy Town with Limp Bizkit, Rich Boy and Eminem, among others, on an album now available for free download.

Though Fink said he did not have any big expectations for the Super Mash Bros, except to make people dance, the duo did not give any indication that they intended to slow down any time soon. Their second album, "All About the Scrilions," was just released this year, and their popularity is only growing.

Campus Activities Board president Josh Huffines said he wanted the DJs to perform at the university because their other concerts turned into dance-rave parties. CAB booked them in May, and since then, he said, the Super Mash Bros have exploded on the club and college circuit. Students from the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University and Virginia Union University have called asking about tickets to the event on Saturday, which is free to students.

"The buzz in Richmond for this event is amazing," Huffines said. "We didn't do any publicity for it until last week and badda bing, badda boom everyone knows."

Contact staff writer Jordan Trippeer at jordan.trippeer@richmond.edu