Let's talk about sex, baby: Breast Cancer

Dear Sally,

I keep seeing fliers all around campus about breast cancer and doing self-examinations. I thought only older women got breast cancer. Should I really be worrying about this already?

- Cancer-cautious

Dear Cautious,

What many college-age women don't realize is that 4 percent of women under the age of 30 develop breast cancer. Although this may not seem like a worrisome percentage, it only increases with age and other factors. Drinking alcohol, being physically inactive, being overweight or taking birth control - in addition to family history - can all increase your chances of getting breast cancer. Although partying, lounging and eating junk food may keep you a little more sane during the weekends, don't forget that it is taking a toll on your body. Tumors in the breast tend to grow slowly, so by the time a lump is large enough to feel, it may have been growing for as long as 10 years. Of course, there's no need to freak out and run to your doc right away. As with most things, a little preventative care can help loads in keeping you healthy and less paranoid about contracting every rare disease out there on the loose. That's why doctors encourage all women to do monthly breast self-exams. They're easy, fast and don't require cold doctor hands kneading your boobs. Best of all, they are the best way to detect any tumors early on. Try Googling "breast self-exam" for a bunch of resources (and even awkward graphics!) about how to perform a breast self-exam or check out the breast self-exam instructions soon to debut in women's showers all over campus.

Love,

Sally

Inept at getting action or unsure about STDs? E-mail Sally anonymously at sallysexpert@gmail.com.