The Richmond music scene is hot

Tired of listening to Ke$ha and Miley Cyrus at the lodges and apartments? Want to get off campus and hear something new? The local music scene in Richmond has more going on than you might think.

Richmond offers everything from larger venues such as The National to smaller, more intimate club spaces such as The Camel, Alley Katz, Cafe Diem, Cary Street Cafe and Capital Ale House. Each venue features a variety of music, including bluegrass, jazz, country, pop, jazz and folk.

The National, the biggest concert venue in Richmond, offers a combination of mainstream acts and local artists. This season, The National will host the bands Lotus, Perpetual Groove, Spoon, Disco Biscuits, Elvis Costello and Citizen Cope. To celebrate Mardis Gras, The National will feature Willie Nelson.

"One concert that's coming up that I'm definitely looking forward to is Lotus at The National on Friday, Feb. 12," senior Jess Clough said.

Clough said she liked getting off campus and exploring the music scene in Richmond, whether it was at The National or at a smaller venue such as Cafe Diem.

There are other options besides The National, she said.

"The National and Canal Club are obvious choices for more popular acts," senior Jesse Wells said. "But a lot of local bands are constantly playing around town throughout the week. Emilio's, Europa, Cary Street

Cafe, Bogart's, Cafe Diem and The Camel host a great deal of local talent."

The Camel, a much smaller venue, offers a variety of entertainment options such as art shows, poetry readings and concerts. Owner Rand Burgess said they have had local bands and touring bands, some from as far away as France and Tokyo. He said he expected the Jazz Fest on Feb. 5 to be one of the most popular nights this season.

Local bands NO BS BRASS, Oregon Hill Funk All Stars, Jackass Flats

and SILO Effect all have monthly gigs at The Camel, Burgess said.

But if you're looking for something more classical, head to Center-

Stage. Some of the bigger events at CenterStage this season include the

Richmond Symphony's performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Beethoven's Emperor.

And, of course, the Modlin Center for the Arts provides other options.

"They bring in musicians of amazing caliber across countless genres, and they give handsome student discounts," Wells said.

The Cellar also offers many entertainment options, such as the DJ Williams Projekt, which usually plays on campus during the fall semester and also at Cafe Diem every Tuesday night.

"The one local band that I have started following is DJ Williams Projekt, who actually plays at The Cellar once a semester," Clough said. "They are from Richmond and are an amazing jazz/groove/funk band."

Wells said: "I like the fact that I see a lot of band members sitting in and playing with other bands. Sometimes there will be a lot of rivalry between competing bands, especially in cities with a lot of musicians."

Contact reporter Elise Reinemann at elise.reinemann@richmond.edu