Let's talk about sex, baby: Valentine's Day

Dear Sally,

I'm not the romantic sappy type at ALL, but I do sort of want to do something slightly Valentine's Day-related for this girl I've been seeing. What's something I can do that isn't overly intense, but also doesn't make her feel like I'm entirely ignoring the holiday?

- V-day Wary

Dear Wary,

Valentine's Day has the special, magical quality of forcing everyone to feel awkward about where they stand with people, and wonder whether they should acknowledge the day at all. You don't want to show up at her door with candy and flowers and realize she wanted to keep it casual, but you also don't want to lay low about it and hurt her feelings. Thankfully, there are a zillion possible V-day activities/tokens of affection

that don't scream, "We'll be together forever!!" Here are a few ideas, listed from the more serious to the more casual:

1. Invite her out to lunch someplace unfussy, but avoid labeling it as a Valentine's Day

date.

2. Schedule a coffee date, then nonchalantly buy her some of the yummy V-day chocolate they have on display.

3. Slip a cheesy Power Rangers Valentine in her mailbox, with a snarky comment to

show you want to be funny, not freak her out.

4. Just make a point to see her, even if it's just for a movie or some beers, but don't feel like you have to tie it in to V-day.

Love,

Sally

Inept at getting action or unsure about STDs? E-mail Sally anonymously at sallysexpert@gmail.com.