Web site could provide a new forum for gossip

After Juicy Campus shut down on Feb. 5, 2009, the Anonymous Confession Board created a Web site, CollegeACB.com, which gave college students throughout the country the freedom to post about any facet of college life.

Although the Web site was intended to promote an open discussion among college communities, Richmond's administration is concerned that it will encompass degrading and explicit discussions similar to those that were on Juicy Campus.

Web sites like CollegeACB threaten Richmond's community because they allow anonymous comments, said Joseph Boehman, dean of Richmond College.

"When students can write without repercussions, anything can come up," Boehman said. "If someone is willing to say something, say it with a name and with courage."

Peter Frank, CollegeACB's owner, said in a press release that the Web site was different from Juicy Campus because it hosted a higher level of discourse, while still making room for the occasional gossip post. In an attempt to regulate the content of postings, CollegeACB

officials said they would monitor and remove any threatening, libelous or illegal postings.

Some Richmond students are still concerned about the potential content that CollegeACB could contain.

"Who defines threatening?" said Elle Carabetta, president of Westhampton College Government Association.

If threatening comments are not removed, Richmond's administrative officials worry about students who are mentioned on the Web site.

"It is important to take victimization seriously," said Juliette Landphair, dean of Westhampton College. "The nature of verbal abuse can be horrible and very hurtful."

As of Feb. 18, CollegeACB featured vulgar commentary about specific students and Greek life organizations at Richmond. Boehman said that even though the Web site's Terms of Use had specified that officials would censor comments, students would continue to write what they wanted unless there was a clear method of policing by CollegeACB officials.

Alison Bartel Keller, associate director of student activities, said she suspected Greek organizations were targeted because they were easily identifiable and organized groups on campus.

"This does not just apply to Greek life though," Keller said. "When you tear down self-esteem and confidence, you tear down at the moral fabric that we try to build at the university, and that's not just a Greek thing."

When lewd, false and incriminating comments were made about specific Richmond students, faculty and staff on Juicy Campus last year, WCGA decided not to block students from posting or viewing the Web site, but instead encouraged students to ignore it, Carabetta said.

Not many Richmond students seem to know about CollegeACB, said Steve Bisese, vice president for student development. Bisese said he did not think the Web site should be banned because that would enhance its publicity; instead, he said he thought the student government associations should respond as they did to Juicy Campus.

"[The Web site] won't do any harm if students never look at it," Bisese said.

If CollegeACB becomes as talked about as Juicy Campus, and students begin to excessively post distasteful comments, the student government officials will compose a letter asking the student body to ignore it, but no Web site block will be enforced, Carabetta said.

Landphair said the student government associations' response to Juicy Campus last year had been impressive and she thought the current members would act accordingly.

Carabetta said: "As a student leader, I can just remind students what UR stands for. We have a unique honor code and high standards that we should value as people, not just students."

Contact reporter Dryden Witman at dryden.witman@richmond.edu