Let's talk about sex, baby: Human papillomavirus (HPV)

Dear Sally,

My best friend back home got diagnosed with severe HPV and she called me last week freaking out. I was not sure what to tell her because I don't know much about this STD, other than the fact that it causes cervical cancer. I guess I would like to know more about it and know whether she will be OK.

- Concerned but confused

Genital human papillomavirus, known to most of us as HPV, is actually the most common sexually transmitted infection, with about 50 percent of sexually active men and women contracting it at some point in their lives, according to the Centers for Disease Control. HPV is passed from genital-to-gential contact, such as sex, but the virus itself has no symptons, and in 90 percent of cases the body's immune system will clear it within two years. But your friend is probably freaking out about the fact that HPV can cause genital warts and cervical cancer, as well as other cancers. If doctors diagnosed severe HPV then it's likely that she's at a higher risk for those issues, but it does not automatically mean she has cervical cancer. If she's worried about genital warts, let her know that they can be treated with medications prescribed by her doctor, and that sometimes they even disappear on their own. If she's worried about a higher risk of cervical cancer, reassure her by telling her that there are vaccines, such as Gardasil and Cervarix, that can protect against most types of HPV that cause cervical cancer, as well as genital warts. I'm sure she's not expecting you to have all the answers, but you can help her just as much by providing her with moral support and reassuring her that doctors are well-trained in knowing how to handle these things and will do their best to help her. Hope things work out for her!

Love,

Sally

Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control:

In 90 percent of cases, the body's immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.

Fifty percent of sexually active men and women get HPV at some point in their lives.

Twelve thousand women get cervical cancer in the U.S. each year

Twenty million Americans are currently infected with HPV.

Six million people become newly infected each year.

Inept at getting action or unsure about STDs? E-mail Sally anonymously at sallysexpert@gmail.com.