The Madwoman is Coming

Sheep set up in Jepson Quad
Sheep set up in Jepson Quad

No doubt many Collegian readers have observed the black and white sheep cut-outs that seem to be slowly migrating across campus, plastered with cryptic messages reading "SHE'S HERE," as well as providing a convenient phone number to call for more information.

I myself was rather confused, until someone in the know told me that the animals were part of an advertising campaign to publicize this semester's main stage play, "The Madwoman of Chaillot," written by Jean Giraudoux and directed by Dorothy Holland. This unorthodox method of publicizing a production intrigued me. So I dove into Modlin one evening to find out a bit more about the show.

The first person with whom I spoke was the director herself, Dorothy Holland. When I asked her about the show, she responded with a fantastic little quip: "The world has gone mad." To elaborate, she explained that the premise of the show is that Paris is overrun with greedy, corrupt financiers (sound familiar?) who want to dig for oil in the city itself.

She was quick to point out that the show's theme, that of greed and how it can destroy things of beauty, is all too familiar to anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past two years. Nonetheless, rather than coming off as preachy and dull, Holland stressed that the satirical show is theatrical and funny, as well as poignant and open-hearted.

I then moved on to question some of the actors involved in the production. Sophomore Alyssa Davis, who plays Josephine, the Madwoman of Concorde, said that one of the most impressive parts of the show was the detail in each and every character, especially the four madwomen. She also stated that "Madwoman" was very well-suited for audience members of all kinds, even those who typically do not find themselves venturing into the theatre complex very often.

Junior Katie Mitchell, who was recruited very recently to play the large role of the ragpicker, said that her character, along with others, embodied the free speech that Giraudoux advocated throughout the course of the show. Mitchell, echoing Dorothy Holland's sentiment, emphasized the contemporary nature of the issue presented in "Madwoman," namely the conflicts that arise when greed is widespread, and also said that the significance of the sheep would be fully understood by Act II.

Next, I spoke with one of the three professional actors working on the show. Robert Throckmorton, in the role of the Madwoman of Chaillot herself, was quite a sight in his exaggerated make-up and inch-long eyelashes. Throckmorton praised the show's support of free speech and its illustration of a break with convention, as well as its effective navigation of the gaps between fantasy and reality. Interestingly, he also told me that the plot resolved the omnipresent conflict between good and evil in a very satisfying way.

So there's just a small taste of what this semester's theatre department production is all about. With incredible costumes, an unconventional set, and a wig eerily reminiscent of Lady Gaga, "The Madwoman of Chaillot" promises to be a satisfying spectacle as well as a thoughtful presentation of an issue of great importance.

The invitational dress rehearsal is at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 8, and subsequent performances are: Friday, April 9, Saturday, April 10, Sunday, April 11, Thursday, April 15, Friday, April 16, and Saturday, April 17th, all beginning at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, as always, will be available at the Modlin Center Box Office.

Contact reporter Jason Davis at jason.davis@richmond.edu