Letter: To the University Community

Dear Members of the University Community,

I have had the opportunity to talk with many of you individually and in groups about this year's 10th Year Reunion Recognition of the Jepson School.

In meetings with me, in the pages of The Collegian, and in public fora, a number of you have expressed concern that the positions of the organization led by one of the recipients of that recognition are not consistent with the spirit of inclusivity that prevails at Richmond and that animates much of The Richmond Promise.

The decision about the recipients of this year's recognition was ultimately my own, when, as Dean, I accepted the recommendation of the selection committee. As I have indicated in individual meetings, I understand and personally regret very much the pain and disappointment this decision caused many members of our community. That result was never intended. I also regret any question it has generated about the University's commitment to inclusivity. President Ayers and the Board of Trustees have been decisive in that commitment.

The University's stance is clear in its non-discrimination policy and in its recognition of the status of same-sex domestic partners. Jepson, like the University as a whole, welcomes students, faculty, staff, and alumni of diverse ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, and political beliefs. My own personal position on issues relating to sexual orientation and equality is unequivocal and, indeed, part of the public record (see this opinion piece, co-authored with Terry Price and published in the Virginian-Pilot, addressing the Virginia attorney general's actions earlier this spring regarding anti-discrimination policies: http://news.richmond.edu/news/article/jepson/1060/erring-on-the-side-of-inclusivity-.html).

The Jepson School and I are deeply committed to ensuring an environment in which all members feel welcome, valued, and supported and in which they can flourish. This spirit of inclusivity has long been evident in our teaching, scholarship, and public programs, and it will continue to be evident in concrete ways in the future. I am grateful to all who have taken the time to express their views on this matter, who have led campus dialogue about the issue, and who have offered suggestions of constructive ways of moving forward. I look forward to our work together.