Preview: Richmond vs. Virginia

Going into Saturday's game, most of the attention is being placed on Latrell Scott and Mike London, the head coaches of Richmond and Virginia. Although that may be the juicy story-line, the performance of Richmond's new offensive line will be the most important factor in the game.

The only returning starter along the o-line for Richmond is the senior center Drew Lachemayer. He started all 13 games at that position last year and is the only member of this year's line to have starting experience.

The only two other starters to see game action are sophomore Kevin Westervelt and junior Ryan Goss. Those two players will start along the left side -- quarterback Aaron Corp's blindside -- of the line with Westervelt at tackle and Goss at guard.

It is unknown how the right side of the line will fare with redshirt-freshman Mark Speir and junior Richard Muldrow starting at guard and tackle. Muldrow transferred to Richmond this off-season from Rutgers University with much less fanfare than Corp.

The thing working in Speir and Muldrow's favor is their sizes. Although he has yet to play in a game, Muldrow is big enough to play the position at 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds. Only Goss is heavier than Muldrow and that's by two pounds. Speir is the second tallest starter at 6-foot-6, but is the lightest of the five linemen at 280 pounds.

"The best part of them is that not too many people know their names like our previous offensive line, having the experience they did," senior running back Tyler Kirchoff said at Wednesday's press conference. "I think they're all out to prove something. They want to be the names people talk about."

Besides the performance of the offensive line, here are a few more keys for Richmond:

Keep control of the ball. This is especially important in going up against a FCS team, where the players are usually bigger, faster and stronger. If the Richmond offense can stay on the field for long stretches, not only will it wear out the Cavalier defense, but it will also keep the Richmond defense fresh. In last year's season-opener win against Duke University, Richmond had a seven-minute advantage in time of possession.If Richmond can control the ball, it will also be more likely to:

Get a big play from the defense or the special teams. Last year at Duke, it was a blocked punt by Kirchoff that led to Richmond's first touchdown and set the tone for the game. Getting a big play is even more important this year with the question marks surrounding the offense and with points sure to be hard to come by.

Convert the chances. Two years ago at Virginia, Tyler Shoop picked off a Virginia pass right before the end of the half and ran it back 63 yards to the Virginia 24. With five seconds left and the ball at the 12-yard-line, Andrew Howard's field goal attempt -- which would have tied the game and given Richmond the momentum right before the half -- was blocked. This year's game is sure to be tight as well, and Richmond will need to score whenever it is presented with the opportunity in order to leave Charlottesville with a win.

Get smart play from the safeties. Gone are David Horton and Michael Ireland, last year's starters. They are replaced with sophomore Darryl Hamilton and senior Max Prokell. Hamilton played in all 13 games last year and started the Hofstra game at strong safety. He finished last year with 32 tackles and had a crucial interception during the fourth quarter at Delaware. Prokell moved to the safety position during training camp this year after playing as a wide receiver for the previous three years. It is important for them to not get beat deep and give time for Martin Parker to pressure the Virginia's quarterback.

My prediction: The offensive line holds up to give time to Corp to find his receivers and give running lanes to Garrett Wilkins, Kirchoff and co. The defense will create fits for London in his UVa. coaching debut and will create a big play. It will be a close game throughout, but Richmond will find a way to win, 17-13.