CAB books Sam Adams, Savoy for Friday concert

The Campus Activities Board has booked two acts for its fall concert this year in an effort to interest as many students as possible.

The concert will feature two different genres. Sam Adams, a Boston-based rapper best known for his song "Driving Me Crazy," and Savoy, an electronic dance band. The concert will take place from 8 p.m. — 10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 5, in the Robins Center.

Sophomore Jack Fuller, a CAB music chairman, said: "We tried to choose acts we thought would bring out a lot of students. Sam Adams is really popular right now.

"He is a double-headliner with Savoy, a band from Colorado. We wanted it to be a dance party, to have an all-school lodge feel."

Savoy will be opening and playing from 8 p.m.— 9 p.m. Sam Adams will be playing from 9 p.m. — 10 p.m.

"I would encourage people to get there on time," Fuller said. "That way they can see both of the acts."

Contributing to the dance party atmosphere, students will stand on the floor during the show, with the stage on the side of the court, Fuller said.

"It will feel smaller," he said. "We are capping the tickets at 1,200."

Tickets will be sold for $10 at a CAB table in the Commons until Friday, Nov. 5.

"Students can pay with either cash or their SpiderCard at the table," Fuller said. "You can also get tickets at any time from the Robins Center. There you can pay with a credit card as well as cash or SpiderCard.

"We expect tickets to be sold out because of the cap at 1,200. So we will probably not be selling tickets at the door. Students need to buy theirs [tickets] in advance."

Senior Amy Newsock, CAB president, said this concert was not open to the public.

"This is just for students," she said. "Our next big event, Second City, will be open to the public."

Newsock said the acts had been booked during the summer based upon the availability of the Robins Center and funding. She said funding had been the most challenging aspect in planning concerts.

"We are not a huge school that gives all kinds of money to plan big concerts," she said. "The funding we do get must be split between the two semesters."

Choosing the acts for the fall concert had been a long process.

"The thing about CAB is that we always want to work collaboratively," Newsock said. "We started talking in February about this concert, and we made a final decision this summer as a team."

Originally, CAB had been trying to get the band Passion Pit, but scheduling had not worked out. Newsock said that they liked Savoy because it had a Passion Pit feel.

She said she thought that Sam Adams would bring a lot of students.

"He is from Boston," she said, "so a lot of students know about him. He's kind of a college rapper."

Freshmen Sarah Struzzi and Kendel Ahnell said they knew about Sam Adams but were going to the concert because friends were going.

Junior Katie Nunziata said she was not planning on attending.

"I've just never heard the music before," she said.

Contact reporter Kaleigh Connolly at kaleigh.connolly@richmond.edu