New Spiders add depth to an experienced team

The University of Richmond's men's basketball team's 79-37 win over The Citadel Friday night showed the depth of this year's team, and gave two talented freshmen the chance to showcase their skills.

With 6:54 remaining in the first half, the Spiders already led 30-11, and the reserves started pouring in. Guard Kevin Anderson, reigning Atlantic-10 player of the year last season, scored six points in a game where he wasn't forced to dominate Richmond's offense.

"I think that's when we're going to be at our best, when I don't have to score the 25 to 30 points," Anderson said.

With Anderson on the bench for nearly half the game, Richmond head coach Chris Mooney turned to freshman point guard Cedrick Lindsay to lead his offense.

Lindsay, a Washington, D.C. native, showed maturity running the offense that is not typical of a freshman. He had 10 points, four assists and two steals against The Citadel.

"He just seems much more experienced and seasoned than he is," Mooney said. "He plays with a confidence that's beyond his years."

Mooney said that he saw Lindsay's poise and sense for the game when he was recruiting him.

"I think he has a chance to have a tremendous career," Mooney said. "This year he's going to play, and he's going to play a lot."

Justin Harper, a senior forward, was also complimentary of the freshman.

"[Lindsay] works very hard," he said. "To see him come out there in his first college game and be successful distributing the ball and playing good defense ... it really speaks to how hard he works in practice."

Freshman forward Derrick Williams may have been the most notable Spider on the court. At six-foot six-inches and 270 pounds, Williams adds size to Richmond's already large frontcourt.

A three pointer he made late in the game emitted laughs from the Richmond bench because it is not typical for a large player to take such shots. Mooney said that is something Williams has done in team scrimmages, although he admitted it's not the big man's best asset.

"He's a skillful player," Mooney said. "He's not just a big, strong presence."

Although this game marks center Dan Geriot's fifth year on the team, his trimmed physique and newfound quickness made him look like a new player on the court.

Geriot suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament three years ago that kept him out of action for an entire season. He led the team in scoring in 2006-2007, averaging 11.9 points per game, and again in 2007-2008, averaging 14.3 points per game, but last year his production and minutes fell off sharply. In only 20 minutes against The Citadel, Geriot scored seven points and recorded eight rebounds.

"[Geriot] is looking great," Harper said. "He's able to get up off the court and use his athleticism."

Contact staff writer Zak Kozuchowski at zak.kozuchowski@richmond.edu