Tune in: Fall TV recap

This past fall was an especially good season in television.

We were introduced to some great new shows, namely Boardwalk Empire, Louie, and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

If you didn't catch these shows, then do yourself a favor and find some time to watch them. They are, all three, outstanding.

To quickly summarize (no spoilers):

Boardwalk Empire is set in Atlantic City at the dawn of prohibition. It is written and produced by Terrence Winter, writer and producer of The Sopranos, and directed by Martin Scorsese, so you might want to check it out.

The show has several "protagonists," but the three most prominent are Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi), the corrupt treasurer of Atlantic City, Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt), a recently returned combat veteran and Nucky's protege, and Margaret Schroeder (Kelly Macdonald), who is essentially the heroine of the show.

Michael Pitt is very Leo-esque both in his looks and his style, so I suppose Scorcese has found his DiCaprio (who once upon a time was his DeNiro) for this project.

Louie is a fictional show based on the real life of Louis C.K. Louis C.K. stars as himself, a self-deprecating and often depressed comedian and single dad.

Mixed into the show are some of his stand-up bits, which, along with the show, are not for those with delicate sensibilities. The comedy is both situational and conversational humor and is very dark, sometimes depressing, but always brilliant.

Also, for a comedy the show has fantastic cinematography. I'd stress that this show is only for those who can compartmentalize humor from actual belief (i.e. can take a joke). But if you can't do that, you will probably miss out on everything cool in life and generally suck as person.

Furthermore, if you get sincerely offended by the content of this show, I hope that this newspaper gives you a paper cut. Harsh, maybe. But I don't joke around about comedy.

In The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, Todd Margaret (David Cross, of Arrested Development) is somewhat accidentally promoted to direct sales of a new energy drink in the UK market.

In his role as self-proclaimed President of Drinks, he manages to, appropriately, make increasingly poor decisions that eventually land him on trial for a slew of charges (this is shown at the beginning of every episode, not a spoiler). David Cross has perfect comedic timing and the show is nothing short of hilarious.

And I feel I should mention the worst show to plague our television sets this fall: Glee. I have never seen Glee but I'm just going to continue to assume that its awful based on premise and my preconceived notions.