CAB to sponsor mini-golf fundraiser

The University of Richmond's Campus Activities Board will sponsor an 18-hole miniature golf tournament in the Forum on April 1 to raise money for Camp Kesem, a summer camp for children with parents who have, or have had, cancer.

There are 24 Camp Kesem sites across America, but Richmond hosts its week-long camp in Goochland, Va., in August. Founders of the camp chose the word Kesem, Hebrew for "magic," because they wanted to bring magic to families coping with cancer.

Senior Kristen Qutub, co-chair of Richmond's Camp Kesem, said she hoped the event would have a good turnout. Qutub said Camp Kesem and the coming fundraiser were important to her because her mother had skin cancer and her grandmother had breast cancer.

Kesem is so special, Qutub said, because it "gives kids the chance to be kids." Campers can choose from a variety of activities -- arts and crafts, kickball, soccer and water sports, to name a few.

Sophomore Joey Greener, the CAB representative heading the Camp Kesem mini-golf fundraiser, said he hoped to raise between $500 and $1,000.

"We're doing it for the kids," he said.

The mini-golf tournament will be from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., and all participants must pay a $5 entrance fee. Students will also be able to donate money via SpiderCard during the week leading up to the fundraiser.

"I think it's great that we have an organization on campus that is solely dedicated to raising money for this great cause," Greener said, "and we are going to try to raise as much money as possible."

Greener said he hoped the miniature golf course would attract students and charitable passersby since Richmond had never hosted a similar fundraising tournament. Groups of students will also be able to enter the tournament as teams.

Qutub, who has been a member of Richmond's Camp Kesem organization since her freshman year, encouraged those who want to get involved to attend open meetings in the Tyler Haynes Commons at 9 p.m. on Mondays. Applications to work as a camp counselor at Camp Kesem for summer 2011 are now available.

Fifty-five campers have already signed up for this year's Camp Kesem session, a 57 percent increase from the 35 campers in 2010. All of the proceeds from the fundraiser will go directly to Camp Kesem.

Contact reporter Markie Martin at markie.martin@richmond.edu