Spring: A season of changes for Richmond football

The University of Richmond's football team is rebounding from a season that ended earlier than the team planned.

"We make it a goal with the team not to spend Thanksgiving with our families," head coach Latrell Scott said, referring to the team's post-season expectations to make it into the playoffs. "I expect to spend the Sunday after the William and Mary game in a selection meeting."

In the midst of spring training, Scott said Richmond's football team was better now than it had been this time last year.

After taking a year getting used to the system, a once young and inexperienced team can now finally move forward, he said.

Losing seniors such as defensive lineman Martin Parker, defensive back Justin Rogers and linebackers Eric McBride and Patrick Weldon leaves the team with "needs that need to be addressed," Scott said. With these players' spots now open, there is a more competitive spirit in practices, which is great for the team, he said.

Junior defensive back Tremayne Graham is a productive player who Scott expects to continue as a great leader on defense, he said.

Darryl Hamilton has been moved from safety to cornerback and he has played well, Scott said. Spider fans can expect to see Cooper Taylor, a transfer from Georgia Tech, playing at free safety, Evan Kelly at defensive tackle, Kurt Schmitz and Garrett Wilkins at running back and Kerry Wynn at defensive end in the fall.

Wynn missed nine games last season and Scott said he had shown in the spring training sessions how much he had been missed.

Offensive linemen Jacob Ruby and Ryan Goss are helping the team on offense, Scott said.

Aaron Corp, junior quarterback who started the first five games last season before suffering a season-ending knee injury, is doing great, Scott said. He is now participating in limited roles in practices and is ahead of his recovery schedule. He is expected to be fully recovered and ready to go at the beginning of summer training.

It took a lot away from the continuity of the offense having Corp out, Scott said. He has a "presence and poise that will help the team win games."

Scott said he did not have one team in particular he was eager to play but was excited for every game, saying this fall would really be "11 one-season games."

When asked about the incoming players for next fall, Scott said he was excited to see who would be able to help the team right away. With 17 signed players for next season, Scott expects a total of 20-25 new players after walk-ons.

"We thought they were good on video," Scott said. "Other people thought they were good on paper, so it will be interesting to see if they're good on the field."

The Spiders' spring game is at 1 p.m. April 9, at the E. Claiborne Robins Stadium.

Contact staff writer Brittany Brady at brittany.brady@richmond.edu