The 2010-11 All-Rodman Team

We all probably know of Dennis Rodman for different reasons. Some know him for being that other guy on the '90s Chicago Bulls team alongside Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. Others may know him for his off the court antics, which included part-time professional wrestling, wearing a wedding dress to promote his autobiography, having relationships with Madonna and Carmen Electra and recently being on the show "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew."

What is lost in translation through all the shenanigans is that Rodman was a phenomenal player. He might not have always been the high scorer or in the spotlight (on the court), but he knew his role and thrived in it. He was part of the NBA All-Defensive First Team seven times and led the league in rebounding for seven seasons. Not to mention, he won five NBA Championships.

A couple weeks ago, Rodman was back in the news. He announced that that the NBA had informed him that he would be elected into the Hall of Fame this year, thus proving that you can be successful without being the star.

This got me thinking. Who are the Dennis Rodmans of University of Richmond athletics? Who knows their role and does it to the best of their ability? Who scoops the ground balls, grabs the rebounds, plays hard-nose defense and works the hardest, all in the name of the team?

After getting feedback from coaches of different Richmond teams, here are the selections for the 2010-2011 All-Rodman Team. Please note that this is strictly based off athletic performance. None of these athletes will be wearing a wedding dress to promote their biography any time soon.

Kevin Smith

Men's Basketball

"Smitty" played some of the best defense on the team this year. He was also able to average the second-most rebounds per game at only 6'5". (The kid has some hops).

Tara Coyle

Women's Lacrosse

The sophomore is a big reason for the Spiders' defensive success this spring. They have allowed the fewest amount of goals during Atlantic 10 play.

Shondel Archer

Women's Soccer

The sophomore forward may not have scored the most goals this fall, but she scrapped for every loose ball. She was fast and strong, and Coach Peter Albright said she is busting her butt this spring to improve.

Catherine Ostoich

Field Hockey

The sophomore was a consistent defender who worked hard and put the team above herself in 2010. Coach Gina Lucido praised her lack of ego and great character off the field.

Darrius Garrett

Men's Basketball

Have you seen this dude play? The Spiders' leading blocker this year has swatted shots three rows back in the stands. That scream into the camera after his SportsCenter Top 10 dunk was also pretty Rodman-esque.

JB Gadd

Baseball

The freshman may not have the most RBIs or best average this season, but he does everything that he is asked to do. Whether it is advancing a runner or coming up clutch in the field, Gadd puts the team in position to be successful.

Ryan Goss

Football

Every All-Rodman team needs some beef. The 6-foot-5 296-pound lineman blocked until the whistle sounded on every play this fall and was a fundamental part of the Spiders' run game.