Saturday, May 04, 2024

Road expansion accesses future campus sites

Westhampton Way and surrounding areas have undergone construction this summer, as the University is rerouting the road to create room for the site of the future sorority cottages and possibly a new dormitory.

Bill Powell, the project manager for architectural services who is overseeing the project, said that although the construction began three weeks later than scheduled because of problems dealing with city construction permits, the road would be usable by move-in weekend.

Powell explained that the project was divided into three phases — the first focused on drilling, sewage and opening the new road, the second dealt with preparing the new activities building site and the third would situate the parking lots in the area.

Although Westhampton Way will be drivable during move-in weekend, the University of Richmond Police Department will be supervising the area to help the flow of traffic. Police chief David McCoy advised new and returning students to pay close attention to new stop signs, especially those at the intersection of UR Drive and Westhampton Way.

"Move-in times are always busy and we stay connected to our housing professions here on campus and support move-in activities in any way that we can," McCoy said. "If anyone has any questions we are only a phone call away, and facilities will be providing road construction updates in August using Spiderbytes."

Powell said approximately four to five acres were cleared for the project, and while he did not divulge how much it cost the university, he said he could guarantee Richmond was getting "really good deals and a lot of value" out of the project.

The entire area is scheduled to be completed by mid-October.

Contact staff writer Markie Martin at markie.martin@richmond.edu