In-Game Blog: New Hampshire at Richmond

Final -- Richmond takes its first loss of the season, with New Hampshire winning, 45-43.

____________

4th Quarter, 0:26 -- Richmond initially looked like they recovered the onside kick, but a New Hampshire player comes up with the ball. They'll take a knee to end the game.

4th Quarter, 0:28 -- Gaskins runs in for the score from one yard out to bring the New Hampshire lead down to 45-43. That's Gaskins's third rushing touchdown of the game. Richmond will now try for the onside kick to have a chance to drive for a game-winning field goal.

4th Quarter, 0:42 -- In an odd move, New Hampshire calls a timeout after a Barnette catch gives the Spiders a 1st and goal on the 2. Richmond has two timeouts remaining.

4th Quarter, 1:42 -- Spider offense making its way down the field while also conserving time. Ball is on the UNH 37.

4th Quarter, 2:45 -- New Hampshire quarterback Decker connects with Harris for a 47-yard touchdown. The extra point brings their lead to 45-36 and likely ends all hope for a Richmond victory.

4th Quarter, 2:52 -- Richmond is now going to use its timeouts in hopes of getting the ball back with enough time to drive for a game-winning field goal.

4th Quarter, 3:01 -- New Hampshire defense forces a 3 and out of their own. Richmond punts the ball away, giving the Wildcats the ball on the UR 46.

4th Quarter, 4:27 -- On 3rd and 1, Richmond's defense stuffs the New Hampshire runner a foot shy of the fist down. That's the defense's second straight 3 and out forced. The Wildcats punter boots one 58 yards and Pettus is unable to gain anything on the return, leaving the Spiders on their own 10.

4th Quarter, 6:20 -- This game is far from over as far as the Spiders are concerned. Ben Edwards is on the receiving end of a nine-yard touchdown pass from Corp. Edwards was wide open over the middle and Richmond has now cut the Wildcats' lead to two, 38-36.

4th Quarter, 7:37 -- Fancy footwork along the sideline gives him time to find none other than Gray for a big gain after a couple penalties of their own had the Spiders backed up. Ball on the UNH 19.

4th Quarter, 8:28 -- A couple penalties and Corp to Gray completion gets the Spiders across midfield. Then Gaskins carries multiple defenders on his back for big gain out to to the UNH 25.

4th Quarter, 9:45 -- The Spider defense has its best series of the half, forcing a 3 and out.

4th Quarter, 10:45 -- Gaskins bursts through would-be tacklers down the middle for a 13-yard touchdown run. Kamin misses the extra point to bring the score to: UNH-38, UR-29.

4th Quarter, 11:20 -- Already having set career highs in yards and catches, Gray looks as if he want this victory more than anyone else on the field. Another long catch has his team down to the 13 of UNH.

4th Quarter, 11:45 -- A couple catches by Gray has Richmond in New Hampshire territory again, but the clock is working against the Spiders as they continue to run with Gaskins also.

4th Quarter, 14:48 -- Crucial drive for the Spiders here starts at their own 25. They need to start coming away with touchdowns instead of field goals if they want a chance to improve to 4-0.

4th Quarter, 14:57 -- New Hampshire extends its lead to 38-23 on a 23-yard field goal by kicker Mike MacArthur.

____________

3rd Quarter, 0:00 -- This game heads into its final quarter with the score still favoring New Hampshire 35-23. The fourth will begin with the Wildcats facing a 4th and goal from the 6-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 0:49 -- Another Decker rushing touchdown is nullified by a holding call. After the refs announce the penalty, a New Hampshire lineman reacts and receives an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The combination of penalties gives the Wildcats a 2nd and goal from the 31.

3rd Quarter, 1:38 -- Another injured Spider is down on the field. This time its defensive tackle Evan Kelly. Richmond needs to hope this isn't serious, as its defensive front is already thin due to injuries.

3rd Quarter, 2:02 -- Penalties not able to ruin the Wildcats drive, as Richmond's defensive line is starting to look worn down after three first downs, all coming from runs.

3rd Quarter, 4:31 -- Refs are starting to get more involved in this game, calling three penalties already on this drive on New Hampshire.

3rd Quarter, 6:42 -- The Spiders are again forced to settle for the field goal attempt, which Kamin kicks through the uprights from 37 yards out. New Hampshire's lead now stands at 35-23.

3rd Quarter, 7:56 -- A pair of completions gave the Spiders the yardage they lost back, leaving them with a 4th and 9, which Richmond elected to go for. A tremendous catch by Gray in traffic across the middle helps them convert out to the UNH 23.

3rd Quarter, 10:08 -- Richmond's offense now moving backwards after a sack, block-in-the-back penalty, and false start. They are now on their own 46 facing a 2nd and 29.

3rd Quarter, 11:22 -- Spider tight ends getting into the action. Two first down catches, the first by Hunter Westfall and the second by Sam Roller, has Richmond on UNH's 35.

3rd Quarter, 13:26 -- The Spider offense will start its first second-half possession at their own 40 following another solid Pettus return.

3rd Quarter, 13:33 -- Decker hurts Richmond with his legs again, rushing 12 yards and stretching the ball across the goal line for the touchdown. The play extends the Wildcats' lead to 35-20.

3rd Quarter, 14:50 -- Second half doesn't begin so well for the Spiders, as New Hampshire returns the opening kickoff 70 yards to the UR 26-yard line.

____________

HALFTIME -- For the Spiders, there's a couple things they need to address in the locker room. First and foremost, the offensive line needs to pick up their play, as Corp is getting pressured way too much. He's been sacked 3 times and hit many more. Both of his interceptions were a direct result of pressure, and he's the leading rusher because of how many times he's been forced out of the pocket. On the defensive side, Richmond needs to keep UNH's quarterback, Decker, in the pocket, as he is hurting them more with his legs than his arm.

People in the press box are saying that might have been the craziest first half ever in Robins Stadium, and for good reason. Two interceptions returned for touchdowns, a 45-yard field goal, a fake field goal "fumblerooski" for a touchdown and a 38-point quarter are all unusual.

____________

2nd Quarter, 0:00 -- The entertaining half comes to a close with the score: New Hampshire- 28, Richmond- 20. A few observations to come.

2nd Quarter, 0:45 -- Speir is able to walk off the field and so must the rest of the Richmond offense after Corp is sacked on the ensuing play. New Hampshire calls a timeout.

2nd Quarter, 1:00 -- Richmond offensive guard Mark Speir is down on the field, and the training staff has come to his aid. The injury stops the clock with the Spiders facing a 3rd and 2 on their own 46.

2nd Quarter, 1:27 -- On a 3rd and 10, Corp finds Gray across the middle for an 18 yard gain.

2nd Quarter, 2:46 -- Decker throws for the end zone, but into double coverage and Richmond safety Colin Pehanick easily comes away with the interception. He kneels down for the touchback to give the Spiders the ball at the 20.

2nd Quarter, 2:54 -- New Hampshire calls a timeout to plan a huge play. They are facing a 4th and 4 on the Richmond 26 and look to be going for it.

2nd Quarter, 3:48 -- Robins Stadium is erupting with booing after an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Richmond gives the Wildcats the ball at the UR 32.

2nd Quarter, 4:03 -- Richmond interim head coach Wayne Lineburg digs deep into his playbook and calls a "fumblerooski" on 4th and 3 from the 6-yard line. The field goal unit was on the field, but the Wildcats' defense was completely confused as Gaskins took the ball around the right side into the end zone for the score. UNH now leads 28-20.

2nd Quarter, 5:40 -- New Hampshire is forced to kickoff from the 25-yard line because of a penalty after the touchdown and Richmond takes advantage, with Pettus returning it 76 yards down the sideline to the UNH 13.

2nd Quarter, 5:54 -- Corp gets hit hard as he releases the ball and the ball floats right into the hands of New Hampshire linebacker Matt Evans, who returns the interception 31 yards for the touchdown. After the extra point, the Wildcats increase their lead to 28-13.

2nd Quarter, 6:05 -- Big stand by the Richmond defense has New Hampshire's offense off the field on a 3 and out. After the punt, Spider offense back on the field, starting on their own 23.

2nd Quarter, 7:31 -- After Gray is stopped just short of the first down, Richmond brings on Kamin to attempt a 45-yard field goal and he nails it right down the middle to bring the Wildcats' lead down to 21-13. The kick ties Kamin's career long.

2nd Quarter, 9:30 -- Important positive play for the Richmond offense, as Corp finds Barnette over the middle for 24 yards, down to the Wildcats' 37.

2nd Quarter, 10:16 -- Richmond changes its return man and Pettus takes the kickoff back to the Spiders' 37.

2nd Quarter, 10:23 -- Decker keeps the ball on an option play and the whole Spider defense looked confused as he ran into the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown as the Wildcats widen their lead to 21-10.

2nd Quarter, 10:56 -- The problems keep coming for the Spiders, as return-man Tremayne Graham fumbles the ball on the return and New Hampshire recovers on the Richmond 31.

2nd Quarter, 11:03 -- Crazy play results in a New Hampshire touchdown. Under pressure, Corp flicked the ball towards Gray, but it is batted away into the hands of Wildcats' defensive end Randi Vines, who takes the ball back 60 yards for the score. UNH now holds the 14-10 lead.

2nd Quarter, 12:47 -- Big run, after getting chased from the pocket, by Corp gives the Spiders the ball on UNH's 40.

2nd Quarter, 14:07 -- Decent-sized return has the Spider offense back on the field at their own 37 to begin their first drive of the quarter.

2nd Quarter, 14:12 -- Wildcats receiver R.J. Harris beats Richmond safety Cooper Taylor on a deep corner route into the end zone and makes the 19-yard touchdown catch to cut the Spiders' lead to 10-7.

____________

1st Quarter, 0:00 -- A QB sneak by UNH's Kevin Decker for a first down ends the first quarter. The Spiders lead 10-0, but the Wildcats are threatening, as they will begin the second quarter with a 1st and 10 at the Richmond 22.

1st Quarter, 1:18 -- A highlight reel, one-handed catch by New Hampshire tight end Sean Cullen and a missed coverage by Richmond has the Wildcats on Richmond's 33-yard line.

1st Quarter, 2:35- New Hampshire is denied its best field position of the game as a return to near midfield is nullified by a block-in-the-back penalty. Instead, the Wildcats will begin on their own 10.

1st Quarter, 2:45 -- Richmond goes up 10-0 on a 36-yard field goal by kicker Will Kamin.

1st Quarter, 4:00 -- A couple first downs by Richmond's offense has the Spiders threatening, with a 1st and 10 on the Wildcats' 25.

1st Quarter, 7:14 -- Just as they have been doing for most of the season, Richmond's defense gets the ball back for its offense, as cornerback Darryl Hamilton intercepts a UNH pass and the Spiders will take over at their own 33.

1st Quarter, 9:12 -- Richmond turns it over on downs as fullback Kendall Gaskins gets stuffed at the line on a simple hand-off play. Wildcats take over at their own 31.

1st Quarter, 9:17 -- Spiders facing a 4th and 1 from the Wildcats' 32-yard line, as Corp slid one yard shy of the first down marker running on 3rd and 4.

1st Quarter, 11:42 -- Jacob Pierce, starting in place of the injured Kerry Wynn at defensive end, ends the Wildcats first drive, sacking their quarterback for a 12 yard loss on 3rd down.

1st Quarter, 12:40 -- New Hampshire receives the kickoff and takes it back to their own 24-yard line to start their first offensive series.

1st Quarter, 12:47 -- The quick start is nothing new from the Spiders, as they have scored first in each of the team's other three games this season. The problem has been maintaining the momentum throughout the game, so we'll see if they can buck that trend today.

1st Quarter, 12:47 -- Five straight completions from Spider QB Aaron Corp, the last of which went to receiver Stephen Barnette for a 1-yard touchdown, has the Spiders ahead 7-0 quickly. WR Tre Gray made two sizable receptions on the drive.

1st Quarter, 14:51 -- Big kickoff return to start the game by Richmond's Wayne Pettus has the Spiders starting the game on their own 47.

____________

Pregame -- One other note: Be sure to watch the way Richmond's defensive line plays, as it will be without two starters, Corey Jackson and Kerry Wynn, who both suffered injuries in last week's victory over VMI.

This is the most important game of the year so far for Richmond. Not only is it their first against a conference foe, but both teams are sitting at 3-0 on the season and the result of this game could play a huge role if both teams end up with the same record at the end of the year. Richmond (No. 5) currently sits higher in the rankings than New Hampshire (No. 11), but the Wildcats have given the Spiders trouble as underdogs before, such as last year when they beat Richmond 17-0 at home in a game where the Spiders suffered injuries to numerous quarterbacks.

Welcome to another live blog for the 2011 Richmond football season. It's Parents Weekend here at the university, so the third straight sold-out game for Robins stadium comes as no surprise. The Spiders' opponent for today is the New Hampshire Wildcats and today will serve as each team's conference opener, as both belong to the Colonial Athletic Association. We're just over 15 minutes away from kickoff; I'll provide some analysis of the match-up before then.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu