Student employment rates increase for on-campus jobs

Student employment rates at Richmond have increased as a result of students continuing to take advantage of on-campus job opportunities.

"I currently have 1,730 jobs set up in banner," said Sue Young, assistant director of financial aid. "However, that doesn't mean everyone is working in those positions full time. It could mean that the students work periodically."

On Sept. 8, 2008, 1,580 students worked on campus, compared to last year's 1,596 students, Young said.

"We are ahead this year," Young said.

Richmond's student employment program offers two programs: Federal Work Study and the University Work Program, Young said. The main difference between the two programs is that FWS is partially supported by federal funds, and students must be qualified through the financial aid office, according to the student employment website.

"Last year at one time or another, 46 percent of undergraduate students got paid throughout the year," Young said.

Payroll reported that at any given time, they cut about 1,000 checks for undergraduate and graduate students, Young said. This means one-third of undergraduate and graduate students are working continuously, she said.

Young said she recommended that students work 20 hours or fewer each week. The international students are required to work 20 hours or less, Young said.

"Articles out there say that if you work during school, you do better after college because you manage your time better," Young said.

Each year, the job fair occurs during the first week of school, Young said. Between 20 and 25 departments on campus attend and collect applications from students, she said.

"A lot of mentoring goes on between supervisors and students," Young said. "Supervisors help students learn skill sets beyond their job."

Senior Trevor Cornell, who has been an intramural supervisor for two years, said he had gotten close with his supervisor.

"My supervisor is a nice and easy guy to work with," Cornell said. "He makes coming to work fun."

Senior Jason McMahon, who worked as a library assistant for three years, said it was good for students to have opportunities for employment on campus. Aside from the convenience, working on campus provided "real-world working skills," McMahon said.

Senior Mike Davis, a library assistant, said his people skills were enhanced through working on campus and interacting with library visitors.

Cornell said that working on campus had helped him develop his work ethic.

"I work on campus to make extra spending money," Cornell said.

Senior Kathryn Esty, who works at the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness, said that in addition to gaining work experience, working on-campus had given her a great basis for references.

"My supervisor has always been supportive of me being a full-time student," Esty said. "It's a hard balance. She understands that we are students, and that comes first."

Working on campus is a great way to establish connections, Esty said.

"With today's economy, a lot of jobs that used to be held by high school students are now given to people who've lost their jobs," Young said. "For students to have work experience before they graduate is very helpful."

Contact staff writer Rachael Specter at rachael.specter@richmond.edu.