Spiders beat Bonnies, 1-0, in team's final game of season

The University of Richmond men's soccer team played its final game of the season, winning its third straight game Sunday, a 1-0 victory in double overtime against St. Bonaventure University in Robins Stadium.

Junior midfielder Houston Oldham scored the winning goal from the right side, placing the ball over the keeper's head. After scoring, Oldham celebrated by taking his shirt off and jumping around and screaming.

Oldham said a teammate had told him that if he scored, he should strip and go crazy.

"It was the last game," he said. "So I did it."

The team had several near-goals, including a header by Oldham in the first overtime that St. Bonaventure's goalkeeper saved. In the first half, freshman Sean Baker broke away from his defenders and shot, just missing the net high and wide.

Defensively, goalkeeper Zac Brown had eight saves for the Spiders. Near the end of the second half, Brown dove and stopped a shot that could have won the games for the Bonnies.

While the Spiders failed to make it to Atlantic 10 Conference tournament, coach Clint Peay said it had been a good feeling to win the last three games.

"They were well-deserved in terms of effort," he said.

Reflecting on the season, Peay said there had been some good plays by some young players.

"We scored some great goals," he said.

Oldham said the season overall had been tough, and that the team had had a tough out-of-conference schedule.

"I'm happy the way we finished," he said. "The last games, we played better. We found a way."

"This is a year we can reflect on," Peay said. "We'll find ways to get better."

The team finished the season 5-12-1 with a 4-5-0 in-conference record.

Contact staff writer Avery Shackelford at avery.shackelford@richmond.edu