Super Bowl rematch causes division on campus

Senior Chris Rigoli's immediate reaction when he saw Baltimore Raven Billy Cundiff's field goal attempt sail wide was one of overwhelming joy. It meant his New England Patriots were going to Super Bowl XLVI. But hours later he was faced with an ugly realization.

"If the Patriots lose to the Giants again, I might kill myself," he said.

By now anyone who has been paying attention knows the story. With less than 20 seconds to play, down by three, the Baltimore Ravens sent kicker Billy Cundiff onto the field to attempt a field goal that would most likely have sent the game into overtime. He lined it up and drilled it wide left, missing and sending the New England Patriots to its fifth Super Bowl in the past 11 years.

Later that night, the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers played in rain-soaked Candlestick Park to see who would earn the right to play the Patriots. With less than seven minutes to play in overtime, the Giants recovered Kyle Williams' fumble deep in 49er territory, setting up Lawrence Tynes' 31-yard field goal to send the Giants on to Super Bowl XLVI.

As many know, four years ago these two teams met in Super Bowl XLII. The Patriots came into the game with an 18-0 record, needing only a victory in the Super Bowl to finish a perfect season, and solidify its legacy as the greatest football team ever. But it lost that game 17-14.

Now the team and its fans, are ready for vengeance.

"It would be one thing if they had just had a good season," Rigoli said. "If they had been 12-4 or something it would have been bad, but nothing compared to how miserable it was watching that perfect season get ruined."

This sentiment is pretty common among Patriots fans.

"If the Patriots lose to them again, I'm going to go lie down in traffic," senior Mike Shrum said. "I've never felt as horrible as I did when they lost that game. It was like someone reached into my chest, ripped out my heart and set it on fire. I was physically ill."

As for Giants fans, they don't mind being underdogs again.

"Last time we were bigger underdogs than we are now, and look how that turned out," senior Robbie Williams said. "I couldn't care less about that. Their team this year is definitely not as good as the team four years ago. I like our chances heading into this matchup a lot more than I did in the last game."

Tensions will be running high for many over the next week. Richmond is home to many fans of both the Giants and Patriots.

Williams said he would be watching the game at his house. "We won't be hosting a party or anything," he said. "Giants fans only. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to see the Giants win within five miles of me."

Rigoli said: "I don't even want to see a Giants fan for the next week. As far as I'm concerned, they don't exist."

This matchup doesn't create problems only for fans of the two teams.

"I probably won't watch the game," senior Jets fan Ryan Lichtenfeld said. "This is a worst case scenario for me. With the Patriots being our biggest divisional rivals and the Giants being our cross town rivals, these are definitely my two least favorite teams. It sucks that I have to deal with this again."

Despite Lichtenfeld's anger, Giants and Patriots fans are ready for this matchup.

"This is the time when you absolutely hate that there are two weeks between the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl," Rigoli said. "It gives you too much time to think about 'what if.'"

Williams said, "I'm just amped for the game."

Contact staff writer Matt Dunn at matt.dunn@richmond.edu