Pi Phi to host charity basketball tournament Friday

Pi Beta Phi is hosting Ballin' for Books on Friday in the Weinstein Center to support its philanthropy, First Book, and to collect donations for Churchill Activities and Tutoring (CHAT), according to Meredith Schlussel, the sorority's vice president of philanthropy. The basketball tournament will run from 6-9 p.m.

First Book is an organization that provides financial support and academic materials to schools and youth groups around the nation.

"Pi Beta Phi has always maintained a strong commitment to promoting literacy throughout the Richmond community through its fundraising efforts," Schlussel said. "Ballin' for Books is a great way to have fun and really make a difference in the lives of children."

Schlussel said there would also be a school supplies drive at the tournament to support CHAT, a Christian-based organization designed to offer academic, job and life skills training to Richmond youth.

Mackenzie Mumey, RC '08, is the service coordinator at CHAT.

"We seek to be neighbors to community members in need," he said.

All school supplies and monetary donations will directly benefit the students involved in the program, Mumey said.

"CHAT does great things for the children of Richmond, and we would love nothing more than to help them in their efforts," said Torrie Williams, vice president of communications for Pi Phi.

Many Pi Phi members of volunteer at CHAT weekly, Schlussel said.

Members of Pi Phi will set up tables in the dining hall lobby on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to sign up teams of three to compete, Williams said. The cost is $15 per team.

Prizes will be raffled off at the tournament including gift certificates and discounts at local stores. Food will be provided. Students are encouraged to bring school supplies to the tournament, Schlussel said.

Contact reporter Laila Hart at laila.hart@richmond.edu