Student group brings Haiti earthquake back into focus

More than two years after the earthquake hit Haiti, the West Indian Lynk (WIL), a Caribbean student organization, is still working to raise awareness of and fundraise for the needs of Haiti.

Last week, members sold wristbands in The Commons to support Diane Gaillard's local charity organization, the Adopt Haiti Project.

"The cost of a bag of rice is more expensive than a liter of gas in Haiti," said Francis Poitier, president of WIL. "Thus, we know that a $3 wristband goes a long way. So, while fundraising is great for this project, our central purpose was to raise awareness and shine the spotlight back on Haiti."

WIL was founded in 2005, Poitier said, and the organization was best known for its Island Showcase, which is held every fall. During the Island Showcase, students represent different islands of the Caribbean in a mini-pageant. There is usually a representative for Haiti, he said.

The club has also hosted speakers, including Diane Gaillard from the Adopt Haiti Project this year, and discussions about the need to bring the cause back into the spotlight.

"Our wristband fundraiser has been the biggest we've had," Poitier said, "but this is in conjunction with our efforts to raise awareness."

Poitier said that the club members had monetary goals, but its biggest aim was to raise awareness. Poitier said that WIL's members were also unsatisfied with the political factors

standing in the way of Haitians who were trying to rebuild their homes and their nation.

"We recognize that, due to the limited time frame, we are not able to raise thousands of dollars," Poitier said, "but we also know that every little bit helps."

Nabila Khouri, vice president of WIL, said that the group had sold about 50 wristbands, which was more than the club members had originally hoped for. The profits will go directly to Gaillard, who is a Richmond resident of Haitian descent.

Gaillard has spoken with the club about her organization and her work, and Khouri said they had been impressed with her dedication and passion.

"There has always been a Haitian community in Richmond," Khouri said, "but they didn't have a base before Gaillard formed Adopt Haiti."

A lot of work has been done in Haiti, Khouri said, but there is still a lot to be done. The club, which has five members on the executive board and 10 members total, meets every week on Tuesday, and the executive board meets on Sunday.

"We are committed to the Haiti cause," Poitier said, "and we know that one or two years are not enough to rebuild the nation. With this in mind, we plan on making our efforts greater and thinking of other ideas to shine the spotlight on Haiti. There has been talk to bring in another speaker and host topics on foreign aid in other countries with specific focus on the Caribbean."

Contact reporter Anika Kempe at anika.kempe@richmond.edu