Performance to highlight "Colorism" tonight

"Under the Rug," the culmination of a semester of research, directing and producing, will debut Thursday. Senior Kiara Lee wrote and directed the series of staged readings, which focus on the issue of colorism within the black community.

"Colorism" is the idea that one's value is based on the shade of his or her skin, Lee said. It surrounds the idea that people have faced discrimination because their skin was too dark or too light.

Lee has always been interested in colorism, she said. She has done extensive research on the issue, written a children's book, directed a short documentary and written an award-winning speech about it. But Lee wanted to take it to another level, she said.

She reached out to Dorothy Holland, chair of the department of theatre and dance, and told her about her idea to collaborate with her on an independent study project and direct a theatre production about colorism.

"[Holland] responded within an hour," Lee said. "She said, 'Sure, great, come to my office.' She really took me on."

The cast of "Under the Rug,"--students Kadeem Fyffe, Stephanie Granderson, Tiffani Lewis-Lockhart, Keon Monroe, India Richardson and Amber Roudette--will read a series of monologues, which Lee described as "provocative and shocking."

"The readings have to acknowledge the seriousness of the issue and call attention to colorism," Lee said. The monologues will give perspective from members of the black community from all ages, genders and relationship statuses.

Holland, Lee's faculty mentor on the project, said working with Lee had been an exciting process.

"Kiara is truly perfect for spearheading this kind of project," Holland said. "First, because of her profound passion about this subject and second because she is a wonderful writer with a very effective flare for theatre."

Lee hopes that viewers will take away a sense of awareness about colorism from the performance.

"This affects everyone," Lee said. "Its a pervasive thing that needs to be talked about."

The performance of "Under the Rug" will be at 7:30 p.m. on April 19 in Cousins Studio Theatre.

Contact reporter Molly Gentzel at molly.gentzel@richmond.edu