Former player takes over as Richmond men's soccer coach

Two decades ago, Leigh Cowlishaw accepted a scholarship to play soccer at the University of Richmond. This month, he accepted an offer to rejoin the Spiders as interim head coach.

"They were in a bind after losing [former Coach Clint Peay] the week before preseason," Cowlishaw said. "Taking the job helped me give back to my university." Peay left to take a coaching position with the Under 17 US Men's National Team in Bradenton, Fla.

Cowlishaw graduated from the university in 1994. In his freshman year, he was the Colonial Athletic Association's player of the year. He is still the all-time leader among soccer Spiders in many categories, including goals (54), assists (31) and points (139).

Cowlishaw also saw the coaching opportunity as a chance to test himself, he said. He calls on his "personal competitive edge" to take on a group of young players and lead them to the program's former glory.

"It's a fantastic challenge," Cowlishaw said, "but there is no reason in my mind why Richmond can't have a top 20 soccer program."

Cowlishaw said he knew he wanted to play soccer professionally when he was four. He was the first soccer player to be inducted into the University of Richmond Athletics Hall of Fame, and his number is retired by the Richmond Kickers, a United Soccer Leagues team. After his playing career with the Kickers, Cowlishaw went on to coach the team to 11 postseason berths in his 12 seasons.

"Leigh did not hesitate when we asked him to step in and assist with the program," said LaRee Sugg, associate director of athletics. "We feel extremely fortunate to have him on board."

At the end of the season, the Richmond Athletic Department staff will conduct a national search for a permanent men's soccer head coach.

Contact staff writer John McAuliff at john.mcauliff@richmond.edu