Campus renovations during summer total $14 million

The University of Richmond has invested more than $14 million in campus upgrades, including $2.5 million towards library improvements and $5 million in the construction of a new Student Activities Complex.

Other developments involve housing renovations, a new cafe at UR Downtown, artificial turf and upgraded lighting for the intramural fields and the addition of football offices and meeting rooms in the Robins Center, according to a university press release.

Located on the south end of campus behind North Court, the new Student Activities Complex will include a student center, featuring a main room, two meeting spaces, a student kitchen and a catering kitchen.

The Cottage Court will include eight individual cottages, seven of which will be dedicated to sorority use, and a surrounding courtyard. The eighth cottage, dubbed Spider Cottage, will be reserved for the more than 170 active student organizations on campus.

Junior Sam Abrahams, a member of several campus organizations, said he was looking forward to the available space that the complex would offer within a public atmosphere.

"People can be super involved on campus and still not be aware of other student organizations," Abrahams said.

The complex will create more opportunities for organizations to be seen, Abrahams said. Instead of gatherings in various closed-off meeting rooms around campus, he said he hoped to gain awareness of other student groups and find a "new interconnectedness among organizations."

In February 2011, members of the Board of Trustees unanimously approved the construction of the new complex in response to space constraint needs, according to the University of Richmond website.

The building is set to formally open in October. University officials believe the complex will represent the administration's dedication to enhancing student involvement.

"[It is] a reflection of the university commitment to the students' experience," said Alison Bartel Keller, Interim Director of Student Activities.

Summer renovations of Boatwright Memorial Library enhanced student experience by doubling the number of study seating areas in the library, librarian Olivia Reinauer said. Along with more group-study rooms, additional power outlets and remodeled bathrooms, the new library layout gives students more direct access to reference librarian offices, Reinauer said.

"It seems as though students are using the library in a more studious way, rather than a social way," she said. "The new areas feel a bit more formal than they used to be."

Sophomore Andrew Talbot said he had also felt a change in the library dynamic.

"Overall, the library is a lot quieter," he said. "Even though the back of the first room is supposed to be collaborative study, no one really talks until later in the night."

The library changes have shifted Talbot's studying habits. New whiteboard tabletops help him outline essays before writing papers, he said.

As part of a campus housing redevelopment plan, renovations of the residence halls will continue over the next several years, said Joan Lachowski, director of student housing.

Three blocks of the University Forest Apartments have been updated with new roofing, flooring, windows and sliding glass doors. Bedroom furniture and kitchen appliances have been replaced, and new cabinets and countertops have been installed. The changes also include the half bathroom on the first-floor of each apartment.

The housing department staff participates in the approval of plans put together by University Architect Andrew McBride and a committee.

Two of the oldest buildings on campus, Ryland Hall and North Court, both received provisional improvements while their complete renovation is planned for the future, according to a university press release.

Construction of a new residence hall that will be an extension of South Court is set to begin next fall. The project will add 144 beds, semi-suite style, Lachowski said.

University architects could not be reached to comment.

Contact reporter Mara Lugo at mara.lugo@richmond.edu