Richmond men's soccer falls to University of Dayton, 0-5

The University of Richmond men's soccer team lost its home game against University of Dayton Friday night, 0-5.

The Spiders outshot the University of Dayton Flyers 24-20, but the Flyers were able to score against the Spiders, leading to the Spiders being shut out, despite the cheering of 115 spectators.

Richmond coach Leigh Cowlishaw said it was a frustrating game, especially when there had been many opportunities for the Spiders to score goals.

The Flyers took the lead almost 14 minutes into the game when red-shirt freshman Ryan Peterson shot the ball into the net at close range.

Junior forward Abe Keller made the next goal for Dayton during the 22nd minute when he made a direct and unassisted shot from 20 yards away.

Two of the last three goals made were scored within a minute of each other. The Flyers' Malik Schoonderwoerd, a freshman, kicked the ball into the left side of the net at the beginning of the 68th minute before senior midfielder Daniel Berko scored another goal at the start of the 69th minute.

"I thought the first 25 minutes of the second half were absolutely fantastic," Cowlishaw said of the team's plays after regrouping at half-time. "In all honesty, there were numerous chances to get right back in the game, if not take the lead. Unfortunately, somehow the ball wasn't going in and the third goal was pretty much the killer for us."

The final Dayton goal was during the 78th minute when the Flyers' Eddie Jones shot from the left side after being assisted by Schoonderwoerd.

In spite of the loss, head coach Leigh Cowlishaw remained optimistic about their coming Xavier match. Against Xavier, The Spiders will have their entire team, including freshmen midfielders and forwards Mitch Reavis and Christopher Hill along with the rest of the team, Cowlishaw said.

"I'm really excited to have one more opportunity to keep the last game of the season meaningful," Cowlishaw said. "I'd like to be able to go into that game against VCU with everything on the line, at least with the chance to qualify for the A-10. For us to do that, we need to win on Sunday against Xavier. I think we're all acutely aware of the importance of the game and the need for a focused, determined and committed performance."

Contact reporter Melanie Overall at melanie.overall@richmond.edu