Monday, April 29, 2024

Injury causes quarterback role reversal

At Saturday's homecoming game against Rhode Island, sophomore quarterback Michael Strauss threw for almost 200 yards and two touchdowns, and former senior starting quarterback John Laub sat on the sidelines taking mental notes of Strauss' performance.

Critiquing Strauss' plays is one of the ways Laub, who suffered a broken ankle at the New Hamphshire game, has adapted to his role as team captain from the bench, he said.

Laub suffered a broken ankle after a defensive lineman landed on him, he said. The day after the Oct. 13 game, Laub underwent successful surgery and was given a recovery time of six weeks, he said.

Strauss, a transfer from the University of Virginia, said that his takeover of the starting quarterback position reversed the roles Laub and he had established before Laub's injury. Earlier in the season, Strauss occasionally substituted for Laub during games, but mainly observed and offered feedback to him from the sidelines, he said.

Now, Laub, currently in his fifth season as a Spider, must lead from the sidelines and watch Strauss lead on the field.

"It's a frustrating situation," Laub said. "But I have to accept my new role and do the best I can within it and still act as captain so we can win the future games."

Laub prepares for games by assuming the mindset of a starter, he said. He watches videos of opponents, picks up tips and communicates with Strauss and the team about what he thinks of certain opponent techniques and plays, he said.

Laub's perspective has been very valuable over the past few weeks, coach Danny Rocco said.

Both players are fiercely competitive and push each other to maximize their abilities, Rocco said. The players had been supportive of each other throughout the process, and when Laub was named starting quarterback at the start of the season, Strauss never stopped competing and working on his game, Rocco said.

"We've been very fortunate to have two quality players at the quarterback position," Rocco said. "Since John's injury, he has been front and center on a daily basis. He is still totally committed."

Laub had been working toward the starting quarterback position since the 2009 season, during which he acted as the backup to graduating senior and Richmond's all-time passing leader Eric Ward, and then for Aaron Corp in 2010 and 2011, he said.

Laub won the position of starting quarterback after competing last spring and summer with Strauss, who transferred last January, he said.

The competitive nature of the quarterbacks' relationship during those months kept the two from immediately becoming close friends, Strauss said. But once they started working together on the field, their friendship and respect for each other grew, he said.

Their current relationship contains both elements of competitiveness and mentorship, which is natural whenever there are two good quarterbacks, senior defensive lineman BJ Scott said.

Strauss had always demonstrated confidence in his own abilities and leadership on the the team, Scott said.

"When Laub was injured, the team was confident there would be no drop-off in the offense," Scott said. "And there wasn't."

Laub's injury, though unfortunate, has offered Strauss an opportunity to move forward in his football career, Strauss said.

"I'm blessed for this opportunity," Strauss said. "From where I was last year to this year, I'm just blessed."

Contact reporter Jenna Robinson at jenna.robinson@richmond.edu