Delta Gamma hosts Valentine's Day bake sale

Rather than hearts, chocolate and roses this Valentine's Day, the Delta Gamma Fraternity offered treats that would appease any late-night snacker--milk and cookies. All the proceeds from the snacks are going to the Delta Gamma Foundation, which benefits Service For Sight.

"This year we made $353 in profits, but we also won the Greek contest at the basketball game so our grand total for the week was $553," said Jennifer Darsie, head of the event this year.

The Greek contest was sponsored by Student Activities and gave a $200 prize to whichever Greek organization had the most members attend Saturday's men's basketball game against St. Bonaventure University.

DG holds the fundraising event every year around Valentine's Day, Darsie said. Members of the sorority table in the Commons, selling orders of milk and cookies to students passing by. Students had two package options, Darsie said. Package "A" consisted of two cookies and one milk for $3, and Package "B" consisted of four cookies and two milks for $5.

"Milk and cookies is our oldest annual event," Darsie said. "We love doing Milk and Cookies every year, as it is one of our older traditions."

Service for Sight and protecting the "gift of sight", according to the Delta Gamma Fraternity's national website, "is one of Delta Gamma's highest priorities". Since 1936, a description on the website read, Service for Sight has helped fund genetic research, low-vision adaptive devices, tapes, Braille books and hundreds of life-enhancing programs.

"I love that Delta Gamma does DG Milk and Cookies every year," said DG senior Beth Rinehart. "I think it's a great way to get our philanthropy, Service for Sight, out there through the eye-facts that we put on the bags. Also, I think it's nice that Milk and Cookies can be delivered to anyone--friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, roommates. It doesn't have to be just your 'Valentine'."

Contact reporter Anika Kempe at anika.kempe@richmond.edu