Friday, May 03, 2024

Live Football Blog: Richmond vs Maine

4th Quarter 0:00- Maine holds on to win, 28-21. I'll get my rapid recap up as soon as I can. Thanks for following along.

4th Quarter 0:21- Maine picks off Strauss' pass in the endzone. Two knees from Maine should end the game. Richmond will lose its 3rd heartbreaker in 4 games.

4th Quarter 0:27- Strauss throws a perfect pass to Barnette and Richmond gets the 1st down. 1st and goal from the 5. Maine uses a timeout.

4th Quarter 0:52- Strauss fumbles the ball on 2nd down, but he recovers it. Richmond has a 3rd and 17 from the 30. Rocco uses his 2nd timeout.

4th Quarter 1:38- A play-action pass to Seth Fisher is good for a 1st down.

4th Quarter 1:45- Richmond faces a 3rd and 3 from Maine's 34. Richmond uses its first timeout of the half.

4th Quarter 2:41- A beautiful touch pass from Strauss to Edwards is good for 23 yards and a 1st down.

4th Quarter 3:45- Strauss is sacked on 2nd down to set up a 3rd and 15 at the 36. If I'm Richmond, I try to pick up 8-10 yards here to set up a manageable 4th down.

4th Quarter 4:28- Edwards barely picks up a 1st down on a completion. Jacobi Green had a great block to give Strauss time to find Edwards.

4th Quarter 4:34- Richmond has a 3rd and 5 after an incomplete pass.

4th Quarter 5:03- Edwards gets 5 on the 1st down completion.

4th Quarter 5:08- Grant fights to get the ball to the 30 on the return.

4th Quarter 5:16- A clip from Hoosiers was just played on the video-screen in attempt to bring some energy back into the stadium and I think it worked.

4th Quarter 5:16- Poor coverage and poor tackling by Richmond's secondary results in a 48 yard TD catch for Maine. 28-21 Black Bears.

4th Quarter 5:37- Maine has moved the ball easily this drive. They have a 1st and 10 from Richmond's 48.

4th Quarter 6:02- Strauss hits Edwards over the middle for the conversion. Richmond ties the game at 21.

4th Quarter 6:02- Incredible one-legged catch in the corner of the endzone by Barnette is good for a touchdown. Now for the conversion...

4th Quarter 6:29- Moon gets 1 on first down. The crowd is begging for a touchdown... literally.

4th Quarter 7:11- Strauss finds (guess who?) Edwards for an 11 yard gain. 1st and goal from the 5. Richmond's last two first and goals resulted in field goals.

4th Quarter 7:17- Strauss is nearly sacked, but he barely threw the ball away as he was hit. 2nd and 10 from the 16.

4th Quarter 7:23- Barnette is dragged down around the 15th and the defender is called for pass-interference. The flag came late and there were a few awkward seconds were the stadium was just waiting to see a flag.

4th Quarter 7:50- Edwards picks up 13 on a bubble screen. If there was an FCS fantasy league, Edwards would be a great player to have on your team.

4th Quarter 8:33- A great catch by Westfall is good for 20 yards. Maine's defender made a good play to get a hand on the ball but Westfall still managed to hold on.

4th Quarter 9:05- Two runs from Green set up a 3rd and 4 from Richmond's 44.

4th Quarter 10:15- Edwards rushes for 15 yards. He has 56 rushing yards.

4th Quarter 10:32- Grant's return brings the ball to the 23.

4th Quarter 10:39- Jones jukes by a couple Spider defenders and scampers 46 yards for a touchdown. Maine leads 21-13.

4th Quarter 11:22- Jones picks up a bad snap to get to the 46. 3rd and 2.

4th Quarter 12:11- Wasilewski hits Johnson for a gain of 13. Wasilewski finds him from another 13 yard gain on the next play. Ball on Maine's 46.

4th Quarter 13:22- Edwards' helmet popped off on the -1 yard reception, which is a scary sight for Richmond fans.

4th Quarter 13:54- Edwards catches a ball in the flat, jukes out a Maine defender and picks up 5. 3rd and 5 from Maine's 45.

4th Quarter 14:13- A great pass from Strauss and great catch from Barnette gives the Spiders a 1st down.

4th Quarter 14:20- Richmond faces a 3rd and 10 from its 35.

4th Quarter 14:55- Strauss finds Ponder for a gain of 10.

3rd Quarter 0:00- Richmond will have a 2nd and 5 from the 25 at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Richmond's back was up against the wall and Barnette stepped up and made a huge play when his team really needed it.

3rd Quarter 0:12- And Richmond regains the momentum. Reggie Barnette intercepts a pass in the endzone that I thought Perillo was going to catch. The stadium was dead a minute ago but is back alive.

3rd Quarter 1:00- Wasilewski finds Perillo for a 2o yard gain. 1st and goal from the 10.

3rd Quarter 1:25- Jones rushes for 5 and a 1st down.

3rd Quarter 2:00- a 7 yard pass to Perillo sets up a 3rd and 3 from the 35.

3rd Quarter 2:13- Richmond brings the house but Wasilewski just gets off the pass and Maine picks up 18. After an incomplete pass on 1st down, Maine has a 2nd and 10 from Richmond's 42.

3rd Quarter 3:38- Strauss throws down the field into double coverage and Maine intercept his pass. The Bears return the ball to Maine's 31.

3rd Quarter 4:20- Edwards carries for 5, which is good enough for a first down.

3rd Quarter 4:30- Strauss finds a wide-open Edwards on a play-action bootleg for 17 yards. He finds Edwards for 5 on the ensuing play. Ball at the 46.

3rd Quarter 5:15- Grant brings the kickoff to Richmond's 26.

3rd Quarter 5:22- Jones beats the Spiders' defenders to the corner on a misdirection and scores on a 18 yard touchdown run. Maine now leads 14-13.

3rd Quarter 6:10- LB Christophe Mulumba at the 32. makes a great interception on a pass attempted for Greene. The Bears pick up 16 yards on two pass plays.

3rd Quarter 7:15- Green gets 2 on 1st down. There is an increasing amount of pushing and shoving going on after the plays recently.

3rd Quarter 7:27- Maine lined up as if it was going for it on 4th and 10, but the Bears punted the ball quickly and downed it at the 8.

3rd Quarter 7:37- WR John Ebeling dropped a pass that would have been a 1st down. CB David Herlocker was injured on the play and needed assistance walking off the field.

3rd Quarter 8:02- Pettus stops Jones for no gain on 2nd down to set up a 3rd and 10.

3rd Quarter 8:49- Jones breaks several tackles to pick up 10.

3rd Quarter 9:30- Jones is stopped at the line, setting up a 3rd and 1 from Richmond's 46.

3rd Quarter 9:58- Jones picks up 9 on the 1st down carry.

3rd Quarter 10:13- Another big returner from Maine gives them good field position at its own 45.

3rd Quarter 10:20- Strauss throws the ball out of the endzone. Green was wide open to Strauss' left but he could not find him. Jordi hits the 24-yard field goal. 13-7 Richmond.

3rd Quarter 10:29- I just learned that Ben Edwards' 4 receptions today gives him 159 career receptions, which is 5th all time in Richmond history.

3rd Quarter 10:29- Green gets stuffed at the line and loses 2. He regains the 2 on a catch in the flat. 3rd and goal from the 7. Maine uses a timeout.

3rd Quarter 12:00- Edwards picks up 7 on 2nd down. Richmond has a 1st and goal from the 7. The Spiders couldn't punch the ball in the endzone on its last 1st and goal.

3rd Quarter 12:45- Green picks up 1 on 1st down. Barnette makes a great catch on 2nd down that brings the ball into the redzone. Struass lobbed the ball down the sideline and Barnette leaped above his defender to make the catch. 1st and 10 from the 18.

3rd Quarter 14:14- Edwards picks up 12 on a well-run screen.

3rd Quarter 14:50- A misdirection handoff to Green gets 4.

3rd Quarter 15:00- Maine's kickoff goes out of bounds. Richmond will start on the 35.

Halftime- Some quick halftime thoughts: Richmond has looked the better side except for the first six minutes when Maine dominated the Spiders. Since then, Richmond has controlled the game. The close goal-line call that came midway through the 2nd quarter gave richmond the momentum. I thought the Maine receiver was in, but the only opinion that matters comes from the refs. The Spiders responded to the call with one of its most impressive drives of the season, although they could not punch the ball in at the goal-line. Both teams have been primarily passing teams, which is not a surprise. The Spiders and Bears rushed for 29 and 32 yards, respectively. Both quarterbacks have played well and are carrying their teams' offense. Richmond played its cleanest half of the year, picking up no penalties and having no turnovers.

2nd Quarter 0:00- Richmond heads to the locker room leading, 10-7. Richmond will receive to start the 2nd half.

2nd Quarter 0:28- Edwards makes the fair catch at the 15.

2nd Quarter 0:35- Richmond makes the 3rd down stop at the 41 and uses its second timeout.

2nd Quarter 0:43- Maine uses its second timeout. There was some confusion on blocking assignments at the line.

2nd Quarter 1:08- Maine is called for a false start. 3rd and 14 from Maine's 34.

2nd Quarter 1:16- Kelly brings Jones down in the backfield for a loss of two. Wasilewski picks up 3 on a scramble. 3rd and 9.

2nd Quarter 2:26 Maine picks up a 1st down on a 3rd and 6.

2nd Quarter 4:08- The scoring drive was 17 plays for 78 yards in 6:43. That was the Spider's longest scoring drive of the season by four plays.

2nd Quarter 4:08- Good coverage on Barnette forces the 3rd down pass to fall incomplete. Jordi's 19-yard field goal is good. 10-7 Spiders.

2nd Quarter 4:13- Richmond can't get in the endzone on the 1st and second down. 3rd and goal from the 2. Richmond calls a timeout to talk about this big 3rd down.

2nd Quarter 5:52- TJ Moon picks up 3. 1st and goal from the 3.

2nd Quarter 6:24- Shane Savage gets in on the action with an acrobatic catch for 9 yards.

2nd Quarter 6:56- TJ Moon pushes his way up the middle for a 1st down. 1st and 10 from the 15.

2nd Quarter 7:23- Edwards picks up 9 on the ground out of the wildcat. 3rd and 1 from the 17.

2nd Quarter 8:00- Strauss takes a shot but gets his pass off to Barnette, who picks up 19. Spiders ball on the 26.

2nd Quarter 8:06- A pass for no gain on 1st down and an incomplete pass attempted for Edwards sets up a 3rd and 10.

2nd Quarter 9:03- Strauss hits Barnette for a 1st down. Spider ball at Maine's 45.

2nd Quarter 9:35- Strauss is sacked at the 31 on 1st down and Strauss' second down pass is knocked down. 3rd and 13.

2nd Quarter 11:05- Maine is fuming. Wasilewski found WR Damarr Aultman across the middle and the refs say he is pushed out at the 1. Maine thought he was in the endzone and the replay shows that he probably was in. On the ensuing play, Pettus intercepts Wasilewski's pass. Maine's bench is fuming. That was a crazy couple plays.

2nd Quarter 12:15- Wasilewski finds Perillo but he's a yard short of the 1st down. Maine goes for it on 4th down and just barely gets it on a carry up the middle by Jones.

2nd Quarter 13:02- Maine could be four down territory. If I'm Maine, I might try and pick up 4 or 5 yards to create a more manageable 4th down.

2nd Quarter 13:02- Maine faces a 3rd and 7 from Richmond's 37. Wasilewski, who is 11-14 for 84 yards, uses Maine's first timeout.

2nd Quarter 14:20- Justin Grant breaks up the pass with a big hit.

2nd Quarter 14:53- Maine picks up the 1st down on a 5-yard completion.

1st Quarter 0:00- The stadium looks pretty full but there are some empty seats here and there. The student section is a s full as it has been all year, but I can see a lot of parents in the section too.

1st Quarter 0:00- Maine will have a 3rd and 4 from its own 43 at the beginning of the second quarter.

1st Quarter 1:39- Maine picked up a 3rd and 2 on a pass that seemed to be dropped. The refs ruled it a catch and fumble, which Maine recovered, but up here it looked like a drop.

1st Quarter 2:26- Richmond's offense hurries to the line, snaps the balk quickly and Strauss finds TE Hunter Westfall in the back of the endzone for a touchdown. Great pass from Struass and great catch from Westfall. The game is tied 7-7.

1st Quarter 2:45- Strauss finds TE Sean Fitzpatrick over the middle for another 1st down. Edwards takes the ensuing handoff 7-yards before he stepped out at the 5. 2nd and 3.

1st Quarter 3:46- Edwards shook his defender to get open and Strauss found him across the middle for another 1st down.

1st Quarter 4:40- Strauss finds Stephen Barnette for a 16 yard reception.

1st Quarter 5:10- Jacobi Green gets back to the line of scrimmage on his 1st carry. 2nd and 10.

1st Quarter 5:18- Edwards 7 yard returner will give Richmond the ball at its own 46, giving Richmond excellent field position.

1st Quarter 5:56- Walt Sparks absolutely lit up the Bears' receiver. Maine did not pick up the 1st down and will punt.

1st Quarter 6:45- Perillo picks up 7 on the 2nd down reception to set up a 3rd and 11.

1st Quarter 7:25- Jones lost nine on the 1st down carry. 2nd and 19 from the 11.

1st Quarter 8:16- Great coverage by the Spiders forced Wasilewski to scramble but he picks up the 1st down.

1st Quarter 9:05- It's been a rough beginning to the game for the Spiders.

1st Quarter 9:05- Strauss finds Edwards over the middle, but he's short of the 1st down. Gulli's punt sails over Maine's two returners and Richmond downs the ball at the 9.

1st Quarter 10:26- Strauss is sacked and fumbles but Richmond recovers. The player who hit Strauss was untouched.

1st Quarter 10:54- Ben Edwards picks up 7 on a reverse. 2nd and 3.

1st Quarter 11:04- Justin Grant was one move away from breaking a big return on the kickoff, but he was brought down at the 23.

1st Quarter 11:09- Touchdown Maine. Wasilewski found RB Nigel Jones. Maine just pounded the Spiders on that 1st drive. The scoring drive was 8 plays for 55 yards in 3:51. Wasilewski was 5-5 on the drive. Maine picked up at least 3 yards on every play.

1st Quarter 11:31- Maine picks up another first down and now has a 1st and goal from the 6.

1st Quarter 12:10- Maine picked up a 1st down on a qb keeper by Marcus Wasilewski. The Bears picked up another 7 yards on 1st down. They are really moving the ball agains the Spiders.

1st Quarter 13:30- WR Derrick Johnson makes a catch along the sideline and picks up a 1st down. Justin Perillo caught an 8 yard pass on the ensuing 1st down.

1st Quarter 14:42- Maine opens with a 45 yard returner and will start on its own 45. That could have easily been brought back.

Pregame- Richmond won the toss and deferred to the second half.

Pregame- I was just told that Wynn will play.

Pregame- DL Kerry Wynn is listed as a game time decision. I'll keep you updated on his status throughout the game.

Pregame- Welcome to The Collegian's coverage of Richmond Football. Richmond opens CAA play against the Maine Black Bears today. This is Richmond's family weekend so it will be interesting to see what impact that has on the crowd. To get my thoughts heading into the game, check out my game preview. As always, tweet me any comments or questions you have during the game and I will try to respond when I have time.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson