Monday, April 29, 2024

Rapid Recap: Richmond 30 - Liberty 21

Final Score: Richmond 30 - Liberty 21

What Happened: On a night where the weather made passing the ball difficult, Jacobi Green stepped up and had a career game. Greene rushed for 184 yards on 24 carries to lead the Spiders over Liberty. TJ Moon looked as good as he has all season, picking up 41 yards and two touchdowns on 7 carries. Ben Edwards, who had 9 receptions for 101 yards, played great in his return after missing a game with a head injury. Richmond's defense has looked better, but managed to hold Liberty's strong rushing attack to 145 total yards without Kerry Wynn.

Spider Positives: The biggest positive coming out of this victory was the performance by Richmond's running game, especially Green. The running game limited Richmond's offense in its two losses and opposing defenses were able to focus on the passing game. If Greene can play close to this well in conference play, Richmond's offense will be hard to stop. Wayne Pettus made multiple big plays, blocking two field goals and making an interception. Richmond had no turnovers today, which is the first time that has happened this season. Seeing Edwards come back strong after his injury is encouraging for the Spiders. None of the Richmond players were injured in the game which is always a positive.

Spider Negatives: Aside from Edwards, Richmond's receivers did not do much today.

Barnette, Savage and Ponder combined to have six receptions. The weather made catching the ball difficult, but the receivers will need to play better in conference play. Hunter Westfall did not look spectacular in replacing Sam Roller. Westfall only had one reception and was not nearly as noticeable as Roller is on the field. Justin Grant has yet to live up to his CAA pre-season 1st team status as a returner and as a team, Richmond has not looked good returning kicks this season.

Up Next: Richmond opens up conference play next week at Robins Stadium against Maine.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson